Please Help Me ID this Nelco (and find a manual)

Old July 2nd 05, 02:33 AM
Marilyn

Alan Dicey wrote:
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:

In article , Ron
Anderson of SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com uttered

I agree that dealer label is misleading, one might also assume it to
be an Necchi or Elna, or perhaps even made by hand by Mr. Jolsen.

No. It says that Jolsen is the dealer, and that he also sells ncchis
and Elnas. The Nelco symbol implies, at least to the uninitiated, that
the machine is manufactured by Nelco.

Tell you what, I'll send you some pics of some of the machines in my
possession, and you can tell me who made them. I reckon I know, but
you might have to look carefully

Please. Ron is being polite and helpful, and you are responding
belligerently. Please pick a fight with someone else. Me, if you
like... I'm neither use nor ornament here.

Alan,
Thank you for speaking up. I too appreciate the contributions of Ron
to the newsgroup. I am unhappy to see the tone that has been taken
lately. Hopefully calmer posters will prevail.
I don't post often because I do not have the extensive sewing
knowledge that Kate and many others have. I also do not have the time
to read the group every day and usually someone else has already
answered by the time I read the question. I hope we can keep this group
the helpful place it has been for many years.

Marilyn in MN

Old July 2nd 05, 03:39 PM
CypSew

Thanks, Alan!
Emily

Old July 2nd 05, 04:55 PM
BEI Design

"Alan Dicey" wrote in
message ...

Please. Ron is being polite and helpful, and you are responding
belligerently. Please pick a fight with someone else. Me, if you
like... I'm neither use nor ornament here.

Alan, well said!

However, you're married to one of "our" most valuable contributors.
;-)

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old July 2nd 05, 07:28 PM
Kate Dicey

BEI Design wrote:
"Alan Dicey" wrote in
message ...

Please. Ron is being polite and helpful, and you are responding
belligerently. Please pick a fight with someone else. Me, if you
like... I'm neither use nor ornament here.

Alan, well said!

However, you're married to one of "our" most valuable contributors.
;-)

Blush

And he lying about being neither use nor ornament - after all, he
carried my serger to the shop this after noon for it TLC and service
(nowt wrong with the little Toyota gem, it's just been well used since I
panic bought it this time last year!), put the belt on the treadle, had
endless patience with my various sewing insanities, and, at 53 with good
walkers legs and a 36" waist, he don't look bad either!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old July 2nd 05, 07:31 PM
Juno

I know I'm repeating what others have said, but I too thank you Alan. There
has been a tendency of late of some posters feeling a great need to not only
be right but to do so in a manner that is offensive. I truly feel that it's
just as easy to be polite as it is to be hostile.
Juno
"BEI Design" wrote in message

"Alan Dicey" wrote in
message ...

Old July 2nd 05, 08:04 PM
BEI Design

Kate Dicey wrote:

Blush

No need, you *know* it's true. :-)

And he lying about being neither use nor ornament - after all,
he carried my serger to the shop this after noon for it TLC and
service (nowt wrong with the little Toyota gem, it's just been
well used since I panic bought it this time last year!), put
the belt on the treadle, had endless patience with my various
sewing insanities, and, at 53 with good walkers legs and a 36"
waist, he don't look bad either!

And how wonderful that you publicly acknowledge it. I think you are
both very lucky!

Old July 2nd 05, 08:05 PM
Alan Dicey

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:
Ron Anderson wrote

I agree that dealer label is misleading, one might also assume it to
be an Necchi or Elna, or perhaps even made by hand by Mr. Jolsen.

No. It says that Jolsen is the dealer, and that he also sells ncchis and
Elnas. The Nelco symbol implies, at least to the uninitiated, that the
machine is manufactured by Nelco.

The original poster asked a good open question and backed it up with
excellent references allowing Ron (from his experience) to answer
immediately and me (from my ignorance) to research some of the background.

The Internet is a wonderful thing, and the information you get is
sometimes worth more than you pay for it.

The machine in question is badged Sew'N-Go. The manufacturer is
Sanshin, from the evidence of the serial plate. The dealer's sticker is
headed Nelco and claims Leon Jolson as its author.

It looks to me as if Leon Jolson *was* NELCO.

http://www.geocities.com/lamx/History.html

http://www.virtualnewarknj.com/memor...odianhouse.htm

Which would explain why the dealer sticker is headlined Nelco, and how
there came to be machines that were badged Nelco - he imported and
badged them.

Old July 2nd 05, 08:26 PM
BEI Design

"Alan Dicey" wrote in
message ...

The original poster asked a good open question and backed it up with
excellent references allowing Ron (from his experience) to answer
immediately and me (from my ignorance) to research some of the
background.

The Internet is a wonderful thing, and the information you get is
sometimes worth more than you pay for it.

The machine in question is badged Sew'N-Go. The manufacturer is
Sanshin, from the evidence of the serial plate. The dealer's
sticker is headed Nelco and claims Leon Jolson as its author.

It looks to me as if Leon Jolson *was* NELCO.

http://www.geocities.com/lamx/History.html

http://www.virtualnewarknj.com/memor...odianhouse.htm

Which would explain why the dealer sticker is headlined Nelco, and
how there came to be machines that were badged Nelco - he imported
and badged them.

Alan, you're a font of knowledge, thanks! What an interesting bit of
arcane information.

Old July 2nd 05, 08:33 PM
Pogonip

Alan Dicey wrote:

Please. Ron is being polite and helpful, and you are responding
belligerently. Please pick a fight with someone else. Me, if you
like... I'm neither use nor ornament here.

I will take exception to part of this. Alan, you have been very helpful
from time to time. Besides, Kate likes you, so you must be OK. ;-)

I am not sure that SWWLTBOOEPG really intends belligerance, or if she is
quick to speak/type without considering how it sounds from the other
side. That might be me, though, giving the benefit of the doubt. I am
a believer in walking a mile in the other person's mocassins - for that
leaves him barefoot and gives you a headstart.......
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth
Old July 3rd 05, 07:38 AM
CypSew

Excellent reading this morning. Thanks for sharing.
Emily