Is a knee lift essential?

Old March 23rd 04, 03:01 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

Default Is a knee lift essential?

So I'm still using my $170 WalM**t machine for all my sewing + quilting,
and it is doing fine (ok at least), although sometimes it is a bit
stupid about choice of thread and things like that.

For the last year I have been eyeing a Bernina 153QE, but since I was
moving from the US to Europe, it was cheaper to wait and get it here
(that might not be true right now, due to the change in exchange rate,
but never mind - I want to spend the money where I can get the service
too). Just before Christmas my Mum got a Pfaff 2044 (Quilt Expression) -
she never quilted in her life. Well, I now get to go home and play with
it for 2 weeks.

So I thought I'd have a look around here, and the never version (with
the extension table etc) sells for the same as the bernina around here.
Now, the Bernina has a knee lift, which I thought might be nice, but the
Pfaff has a warning light for the bobbin running low on thread, and that
I _know_ would save me grief. The Pfaff also has two alphabets, I don't
think the Bernina has any.

Those of you who has a machine with a knee lift, do you use it? I do a
lot of free motion quilting (not that I'm good, but I'm practising :-)

Or is the perfect machine with both these two out there somewhere (still
in production, please)?

Right now I'm thinking if I like the Pfaff (after 2 weeks I should be
able to tell), that's what I'll go for, unless you all tell me I _must_
have that knee lift????

Thanks
Hanne - now in London

Old March 23rd 04, 03:32 PM
frood

My quilting machine (a Singer 15-125) has neither bobbin-low indicator nor
knee lift. If I could pick one to go on it, it would be the bobbin-low
indicator! (or needle-down, but you didn't ask about that! ) I understand
that many people who have the knee-lift love it, and would hate to do
without, but if you've never had it, you can't miss it. I couldn't get the
hang of it - for 20 years I sewed on a machine with a knee pedal, so instead
of making the machine go, it confused me when it lifted the presser foot!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old March 23rd 04, 03:40 PM
Diana Curtis

Bernie, the Bernina has the knee lift, but I've never gotten in the habit of
using it. I can picture it being handy during MQ. Maybe I shoud give it
another go at it.
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old March 23rd 04, 03:53 PM
Taria

I have 2 machines with the knee lift. It is pretty handy.
One of those things you didn't miss before you had it
but once you do you wouldn't want to go without.
The Bernina might not tell you when it has a low bobbin but
the bobbin holds more thread than the Pfaff so you need to
change it less often. Something worth thinking about.
Really you have to go with your gut. One machine and dealer
will probably feel right for you. Sit and try them out so
you can figure what your machine is.
Taria

Old March 23rd 04, 04:07 PM
JS

I have the Bernina 153QE, and I love it. I had to wait a little longer for
the dealer to get mine, as the purple was on backorder, but it was worth the
wait. I have trouble sewing without the knee lift now. When I use other
machines I find my leg flailing around under the table looking for the lift.

It does have an alphabet, and lots of decorative stitches. There is also a
computer attachment that you can use to download new stitches, although I
haven't tried that yet.

The bobbin light sounds interesting, too. Too bad the Berninas don't have
that feature, too.

HTH,
Jennifer in Florida

Old March 23rd 04, 04:27 PM
Piglet

I think it's purely a matter of taste. My mother swore by it, I swore at
it, and pulled it out and put it aside when I used the machine. g

--pig

On 3/23/04 08:01, opined:

Old March 23rd 04, 04:40 PM
Michelle Anglin

I had that same problem Wendy. I went to work in a sewing factory
briefly and the industrial machines there had knee lifts and I'd never sewn
on anything but a knee lever operated machine. It nearly drove me nuts. lol
Shelly

Old March 23rd 04, 05:59 PM
Chipper

I have the 153 QE and love it. I use the knee lift all the time, and during
the small piecing stage of a quilt, it saves an amazing amount of hand and
repositioning movement, allowing me to quickly use both hands to insert
another patch almost without stopping.
However, it took a day or two to get used to using it, and it's one of
those things that if you've never had it, you don't necessarily think,
''gee, I wish I had a knee lift!''
(As others have said, it does have an alphabet and other embroidery stitch
options/cards.)
Honestly, I expect the bobbin to empty after a long bout of sewing, so it
doesn't bother me one way or the other if I have a light to tell me about
it. Either way, you change it when it runs out.
My only complaint with the Bernina is that I think they could have done a
better job with the position and intensity of the light, but that might have
something to do with turning 50... :P

I suspect that after dating your mom's Pfaff for a couple of weeks, you'll
be ready for the committment, though. Getting used to any new machine is
the hardest part!
Have fun and behave yourself!
chipper

Old March 23rd 04, 06:17 PM
Heidi from Germany

Hi Hanne,
I'm the proud owner of y Pfaff 2046, and I'm happy with it ( I have it
4 months now )
But as I never had a knee lift, I can't telll if it's essential.
As other's already mentionend the indicator for an empty bobbin is
great and our Roberta found a method to wind it up until it's really
full.
I looked at Bernina too, but I took the Pfaff for 2 personal
reasons , one is my old one is a Pfaff too and it worked great for
20 years, the second reason is, that it's a German Company,
though I know, the machines are manufactored in others countrys.
But what was another important point for me was, that the
additional items ( bobbins, feets and so on ) of Pfaff are a lot
cheaper than the Bernina's ( at least here in Germany ).
And the IDT-System really works great !!!

But as others told you too, the decision is a personal one, and
I never heard of anyone not to be happy with a Bernina.

Have fun deciding and trying and playing...
Heidi from Germany

Hanne Gottliebsen schrieb:

[...]

http:\\hbquilts.bei.t-online.de
mail: please remove quilt from address
Old March 23rd 04, 06:25 PM
Becky

Well, my Bernina that I got back in 1992 has the knee lift, which was quite
a new idea at that time, and I have never used it, but after reading some of
these posts, perhaps I will give it a go.

So you can certainly live without it, but it does sound like it makes good
sense for use in piecing.

Becky