Kiln Paranoia!

Old May 10th 04, 05:01 PM
Zander

Default Kiln Paranoia!

Hi All,

I have just finished installing a kiln in a basement pottery studio for my
wife. I've done the best I can in terms of ventilation, safe wiring, etc.
but I'm still feeling like it's crazy to have a kiln actually in your
house.

Keep in mind I am a total newbie at this, so I have no idea what to expect.
I guess I'm worried about the massive amount of heat I will be injecting
into the house. Should I be covering the 2 drywall walls that are closest
to the kiln with cement board? The kiln is about 12" away from the wall.
The kiln manufacturer says 8" is enough but I've read as much as 18".

Ventilation:
I mounted a powerful inline fan very close to the exterior wall and then
plumbed it with galvanized duct to a T. From the T I have one branch going
to the bottom facet opposite the peep holes where I have drilled a 3/8"
diameter hole on the joint between 2 firebricks. The endcap of the duct is
held away from the kiln body by standoffs (2 nuts in this case, is there a
recommended distance?). How do I test if I have enough but not too much
flow through this hole? I've tried holder a match flame near the top
peephole (with the kiln off) I can't say I can really see it being pulled
in very much. Maybe my endcap is too far fromt he kiln body, it's
probably stood off about 3/8".

The other branch goes to an aluminum hood which I mounted to the ceiling so
it is about 2.5' above the kiln. I didn't feel I needed to be able to
lower it close to the kiln because I have installed the downdraft vent. I
installed this hood just as a means of keeping the room cooler.

Wiring:
The wiring for the kiln is snaked through the ceiling of the finished
basement and then direct wired to the kiln. I had it professionally
inspected with no issues.

I'm trying hard to cover all the bases as I have to small children and I
don't want to comprosmise anyone's health or safety at all.

Any comments?

Zander
Old May 10th 04, 07:45 PM
Uncle John

Zander wrote in
:

Hi All,

I have just finished installing a kiln in a basement pottery studio
for my wife. I've done the best I can in terms of ventilation, safe
wiring, etc. but I'm still feeling like it's crazy to have a kiln
actually in your house.

I have my kiln in a small room under the house. When I fire it I open the
door and window and this gives me a cross flow for ventilation. I
wouldn't have a gas kiln under or in the house.

It is about 12 inches from the wall and all is working well.When the kiln
is firing I make sure that there is no paper or other combustables
floating around

The majority of the heat coming from the kiln is when it is in its
cooling down stage. I hope to use this cooling down heat this winter by
installing an open and shut grill in the floor above the kin room. This
will warm the front of the house at least once a week when the kiln is
switched off.

John W
Old May 10th 04, 07:46 PM
Uncle John

Even paranoids have enemies

John W
Old May 10th 04, 11:25 PM
Steve Mills

I think the most pointed comment I have ever heard came from the local
Fire Officer when he inspected my 30 cube gas kiln which had
approximately 2ft 6ins clear above it before you came to the ceiling, he
said: *I'm not the least bit worried by this, Kilns are made to contain
heat. It's the idiots with gas welding kits that scare me s***less*
That kit fired happily for years, with no ill effects to the ceiling or
the floor above. Good (not excessive) air-flow around the kiln is the
secret.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Zander
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old May 11th 04, 01:50 AM
Zander

Uncle John wrote in news:Xns94E644F2A4CBCknickers@
202.180.64.19:

Even paranoids have enemies

John W

Thanks John,

I heard it this way: "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't
out to get you!"

Zander

Important - Please beware of a company called Bohle Eric Russell Glass 2 August 23rd 04 07:46 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 October 21st 03 02:13 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 September 16th 03 11:11 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM