Seeking a sewing mentor in West Hills/Canoga Park area

Old December 30th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Jeffery Sargent

Default Seeking a sewing mentor in West Hills/Canoga Park area

Heyo - just started learning to sew - made elf hats for my sisters at
christmas - but wanting some more indepth skills: pleats, darts,
collars, finishing touches, et al. Anyone got some free time and room
to accomodate a big dumb guy? I'm between contracts at the moment, so
I couldn't pay, though I can be handy around the house: bit of light
plumbing, moving heavy boxes, rewiring lamps, dish or window washing,
etc. I can help you photograph your own projects for use in a web
gallery or on eBay or etsy. Backrubs. Whatever you're needing done,
I'll take a stab at it.

My goal is to be able to make structured, properly tailored clothes.
Got my eye on some nice waistcoats and a frock coat.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers!
Sarge
(in West Hills, CA)

slsecondthoughts at gmail.
Old December 30th 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

Jeffery Sargent wrote:
Heyo - just started learning to sew - made elf hats for
my sisters at christmas - but wanting some more indepth
skills: pleats, darts, collars, finishing touches, et al.
Anyone got some free time and room to accomodate a big
dumb guy? I'm between contracts at the moment, so I
couldn't pay, though I can be handy around the house: bit
of light plumbing, moving heavy boxes, rewiring lamps,
dish or window washing, etc. I can help you photograph
your own projects for use in a web gallery or on eBay or
etsy. Backrubs. Whatever you're needing done, I'll take a
stab at it.

My goal is to be able to make structured, properly
tailored clothes. Got my eye on some nice waistcoats and
a frock coat.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give.

Welcome!

First, get this:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/0762104201

Then come back here to ask specific questions. I'm not in
your geographical location. I hope someone in your area
offers you lessons, but good luck finding *quality* lessons
without paying real $$ for them.

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old January 1st 10, 05:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Judie in Penfield NY[_5_]

BEI Design wrote:

Welcome!

First, get this:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/0762104201

Then come back here to ask specific questions. I'm not in
your geographical location. I hope someone in your area
offers you lessons, but good luck finding *quality* lessons
without paying real $$ for them.

Beverly,

Is this a really good book for those who wish to learn to sew?

I bought my daughter in law a new sewing machine for Christmas and she
is thrilled, she said it was the smash hit of all the Christmas gifts
that anyone received. My delightful and very dear granddaughters ages 11
and 8 are very interested in the machine and have begun to use it for
some little sewing projects. I am very surprised and happy that the
girls are interested in sewing, I just wish I wasn't clear across the
country.

I know it's not recommended to choose a machine for someone but I did do
some research and found a Janome at Sears that was on sale and has a one
step buttonhole with a foot that can measure the button and make the
correct size buttonhole. It also has an adjustable foot pressure and can
drop it's feed dogs. And it was really cute, off white with red/pink
controls. The girls (and my DIL) all just love this machine.

I hadn't thought about a book to send along but after reading your post
I think it's an excellent suggestion. I do know they will need a good
supply of needles, it was a long time before I realized just how
important it is to use the correct needle and one that was in good
condition. Would this book help or hinder? I don't want them to be
intimidated (by a big heavy book) and they do have an aunt near by who sews.

They think it's so much fun! Hooray!!! My older granddaughters used to
sew with me but after I moved from South Lake Tahoe they got frustrated
and decided to not sew again ever. These two live in Apple Valley
which is still in California but not at all close to their cousins.

If you (or anyone) know(s) of a good beginning sewing book for younger
people please let me know.

Thanks,

Judie

P.S. My DIL is now a sewist although she recently has expressed some
interest and even asked her sister (the one who sews) to look at the
older Sears Kenmore machine I gave her a few years ago. She said it was
eating her fabric and breaking needles (trying to hem some pants). I
know that particular machine is a good little workhorse in very good
working order but hard to know what was wrong from New York, hence the
new machine.
Old January 1st 10, 09:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

Judie in Penfield NY wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
First, get this:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/0762104201

Is this a really good book for those who wish to learn to
sew?

Yes, in my opinion it's a great all-around book for sewists.
I'm 70, have been sewing for 64+ years, and every once in a
while there is a rarely used technique I need a refresher
course on. I have a fairly large sewing library, including
several on couture techniques (and for those I highly
recommend Claire Shaeffer's books), as well as books on
draping, bridal, serging, etc. and also many books on
historical designs and costumes.

There may be other "Sewing for Dummies" type books. However
for a really good reference book on sewing I think the RD
Complete is a great start. It has good descriptions and
excellent pictures.

NAYY,

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old January 1st 10, 11:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

BEI Design wrote:
Judie in Penfield NY wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
First, get this:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/0762104201

Is this a really good book for those who wish to learn to
sew?

Yes, in my opinion it's a great all-around book for sewists.
I'm 70, have been sewing for 64+ years, and every once in a
while there is a rarely used technique I need a refresher
course on. I have a fairly large sewing library, including
several on couture techniques (and for those I highly
recommend Claire Shaeffer's books), as well as books on
draping, bridal, serging, etc. and also many books on
historical designs and costumes.

There may be other "Sewing for Dummies" type books. However
for a really good reference book on sewing I think the RD
Complete is a great start. It has good descriptions and
excellent pictures.

NAYY,

I agree with Beverly. I haven't been sewing quite that long, but in my
opinion, it's a great book to have. I find that even 11 YO's can refer
to it and understand what it says quite easily.

One I've seen but don't own and is also good is the Dorling Kindersly
one of a very similar name:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Boo...342051&sr=1-12

It uses photographs rather than drawings, so it's sometimes easier to
translate to your own work. I don't think it's quite as comprehensive
as the RD one, but some folk prefer it.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 1st 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Judie in Penfield NY[_5_]

BEI Design wrote:
Judie in Penfield NY wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
First, get this:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/0762104201

Is this a really good book for those who wish to learn to
sew?

Yes, in my opinion it's a great all-around book for sewists.
I'm 70, have been sewing for 64+ years, and every once in a
while there is a rarely used technique I need a refresher
course on. I have a fairly large sewing library, including
several on couture techniques (and for those I highly
recommend Claire Shaeffer's books), as well as books on
draping, bridal, serging, etc. and also many books on
historical designs and costumes.

There may be other "Sewing for Dummies" type books. However
for a really good reference book on sewing I think the RD
Complete is a great start. It has good descriptions and
excellent pictures.

NAYY,

Thanks, Beverly

I do have this book but it's copyright date is 1976 and I don't find it
nearly as helpful as the Simplicity Simply the Best sewing book I have
from 1988. I also have the Singer sewing books plus a couple of the
Sewing with Nancy books. I think I may have to actually get out to a
store and check the newer sewing books in person.

Judie

Old January 1st 10, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Judie in Penfield NY[_5_]

Kate XXXXXX wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
Judie in Penfield NY wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
First, get this:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/0762104201

I agree with Beverly. I haven't been sewing quite that long, but in my
opinion, it's a great book to have. I find that even 11 YO's can refer
to it and understand what it says quite easily.

One I've seen but don't own and is also good is the Dorling Kindersly
one of a very similar name:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Boo...342051&sr=1-12

It uses photographs rather than drawings, so it's sometimes easier to
translate to your own work. I don't think it's quite as comprehensive
as the RD one, but some folk prefer it.

Thanks, Kate.

I think a trip to a store so I can see in person what is available would
be the best thing for me to do at this point. I have a number of
different sewing books here ranging from the Singer Sewing Book up to
the serging book I got a couple of months ago.

I think they would be better off with actual photographs, I hadn't
realized that most of my books are not even in color. I sort of think
something simple at first in order to not make them feel overwhelmed.

I just wish it were possible for me to visit them but it doesn't look
like that's going to happen for the next year or two.

Judie
Old January 1st 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Olwyn.Mary

Judie in Penfield NY wrote:
BEI Design wrote:

Judie in Penfield NY wrote:

BEI Design wrote:

[...]

The RD book is good in may ways, but not in all ways. I bought it on
recommendation of many on this ng., but was somewhat disappointed.
Likewise, I bought "Sewing for Dummies" sight unseen, for my dgd, then
thought I had better have one myself in case she had questions, but
agan, I was VERY disappointed. Frankly, I think that along with the
Singer books, many of which I bought off the remainder table, the best
one I have is the Vogue 1975 edition, which I bought at a rummage sale
for $1.

My advice is always the same. Take an entire afternoon or evening, go
to your local free public library (or a big city branch if neccessary)
and look at ALL of the various sewing books,to see which one "talks" to you.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old January 2nd 10, 10:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sarge

Wow..thank you all for the suggestions.

Kinda figured it wouldn't be that easy. Started sewing with a pretty
good idea how it worked (I'm a sculptor, so patterns and assembly are
second nature) but not how to work the blasted machine. Like having a
road atlas in your head, but not knowing how to operate a car. Thought
I might have good luck having a hands-on tutor to help me with fancy
bits (an instructor vs learning to drive via the driver's manual). But
I guess it's time to hit the books.

Thanks again!
Sarge
Old January 2nd 10, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kathy Morgan

Olwyn.Mary wrote:

My advice is always the same. Take an entire afternoon or evening, go
to your local free public library (or a big city branch if neccessary)
and look at ALL of the various sewing books,to see which one "talks" to you.

LOL! I live in a very small town with a tiny library where I volunteer,
and I read all these recommendations avidly to help me decide what we
should buy for the library's shelves.

--
Kathy

Sewing & Quilt Expo - Overland Park, Ks. - anyone going? Bonnie Quilting 12 October 16th 05 04:11 AM
free stash in Clifton Park, New York area [email protected] Quilting 4 August 10th 05 03:06 PM
Cleaning sewing area ALZ Quilting 5 May 23rd 05 04:03 PM
Boston area sewing get-togethers, and sewing for charity [email protected] Quilting 7 March 4th 05 02:12 AM
Boston area sewing get-togethers, and sewing for charity [email protected] Sewing 7 March 4th 05 02:12 AM