Storing clay

Old January 23rd 04, 08:09 PM
CNB

Default Storing clay

I broke out some clay that I've had some time and it's to hard to work with.
I find that it doesn't keep moist in the bags that it is packaged and I'm
tired of fighting it. I buy about 500 lbs of clay at a time because I have
to take a road trip for it and some of it may be kept for 6 months or more.
Can I hear some suggestions of how some of you clay people store yours? I
was thinking of getting a rubber garbage can and putting a thick garbage bag
in it to store the clay. This way I can add water on top. I live in a mild
climate so I was thinking of storing it outside as soon as there is no
chance of frost. I'm thinking that the evaporation will re-wet the clay on
the top and also this will give the clay a good chance to age. Am I wrong? I
would like to hear your suggestions.
Thanks,
Crystal

Old January 24th 04, 09:02 AM
Steve Mills

In article , Marty Kenny
writes
in article , CNB at
wrote on 1/23/04 2:09 PM:

I broke out some clay that I've had some time and it's to hard to work with.
I find that it doesn't keep moist in the bags that it is packaged and I'm
tired of fighting it. I buy about 500 lbs of clay at a time because I have
to take a road trip for it and some of it may be kept for 6 months or more.
Can I hear some suggestions of how some of you clay people store yours? I
was thinking of getting a rubber garbage can and putting a thick garbage bag
in it to store the clay. This way I can add water on top. I live in a mild
climate so I was thinking of storing it outside as soon as there is no
chance of frost. I'm thinking that the evaporation will re-wet the clay on
the top and also this will give the clay a good chance to age. Am I wrong? I
would like to hear your suggestions.
Thanks,
Crystal

The sculpture studio at the Evanston Art center (near Chicago) uses the
garbage can technique with a damp cloth on the top. It seems to work, but
the clay is pretty stinky. I generally brought my own terracotta, but other
people seemed to be able to dig into the cans easily enough and got good
results.

Marty

Stinky clay is good! I know this sounds a bit odd, but plasticity is
improved by keeping; it allows the growth of organic matter in the clay
which is like a good Gardener's Compost Heap, its growth and decay acts
as a lubricant, so you need less water to work the clay and it
*stretches* further.
--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old January 24th 04, 01:06 PM
Lindsay MacArthur

Does that also increase the shrinkage percentage?

Old January 24th 04, 01:29 PM
Bob Masta

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:09:18 GMT, "CNB"
wrote:

I broke out some clay that I've had some time and it's to hard to work with.
I find that it doesn't keep moist in the bags that it is packaged and I'm
tired of fighting it.

snip

I wonder if this depends as much on local humidity as the degree
of seal on the plastic bags. I kept 25# of clay in its original heavy
plastic bag nearly untouched for 14 years. Every few years I'd
think to check it, and toss in a little water. Finally started using
it last year and it was just fine. The key thing might be that it was
in my basement where it is on the humid side, which may have
slowed drying. The plastic bag was simply folded over inside its box,
no special seal.

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Old January 24th 04, 02:25 PM
CNB

This is exactly why I'm asking the question. I used some clay that I had
been saving a while that was from my throwing bucket. I had removed the
extra water and had it at least six months in a bag. It finally dried enough
to use. Smelled like rotten mud but oh mad how nice it was to throw. I
noticed that it was more moist than the clay that I had been taking out of
my bags and decided that my clay wasn't staying wet enough. I want to keep
it wet enough so that it can age. I listened to a tape how George Ohr
(famous potter born in Louisiana, worked in Louisiana and Mississippi) had
kept his clay in a vat outside completely immersed in water for a year
before he would use it and I think a lot of you know his results.

Old January 24th 04, 02:30 PM
CNB

I noticed that some of the bags were not tied well but most were. It is very
humid in my area but I keep my clay inside. It would probably be better if I
kept it outside. I went through several bags yesterday and they are to hard
to work with. No wonder my wrists hurt.

Old January 24th 04, 03:00 PM
Kathryn & Stuart Fields

Question: What does light freezing do to water saturated clay? Been
building up a bucket of remainder clay, pouring off the excess water down to
about an inch and leaving the concoction outside hoping the weak sun and
desert dryness would evaporate more moisture so I could begin to reclaim the
material. We had an unusually cold night and the top 1/8 inch was frosted
to frozen. The condition didn't last very long once the sun got up, but...
Will all those wonderful bacteria be dead?
Kathy

Old January 24th 04, 04:30 PM
CNB

I don't know what the freezing can do but I can tell you a good way to get
the extra water out of the clay. I made a canvas bag to dump the clay in,
tied the top with a rope, then hung it outside. It removes water quicker
than leaving it in the bucket. It also keeps out the extra stuff that can
fly in there. I would protect it from freeze though. I think the clay is
still good but lets see what someone with more experience says.
Crystal