OT wierd question

Old May 27th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT wierd question

We were talking while my DH was doing some electronic repairs for a
client, and came around to a question that has nagged us for years.

When people throw away things that have a power cord, why do they often
cut the cord off?

They do it on everything from refrigerators to radios, and I have never
figured out why.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old May 27th 11, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jeri

On 5/27/2011 2:58 PM, NightMist wrote:

We were talking while my DH was doing some electronic repairs for a
client, and came around to a question that has nagged us for years.

When people throw away things that have a power cord, why do they often
cut the cord off?

They do it on everything from refrigerators to radios, and I have never
figured out why.

NightMist

I can't speak for others but I cut the cord off any electric item I
throw out that's dangerous (Sparks flying, smell of electrical wires
frying, flames shooting out....that sort of thing.) That way no one
picks it up off the curb and brings it home to use not realizing it
wasn't just tossed because we didn't want it anymore.
~*~
Jeri
Old May 28th 11, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

We do that with when electronics 'go bad' too.
I had a coffee pot that went bad within warranty and the folks that sent the
new machine had me cut the plug and pack it to send back. I guess so it
didn't end up at the swap meet when they never sent the UPS prepaid label
and it had sat wrapped in the garage almost a year. There were a few times
when tv plugs got cut around here when there were teens in residence. They
are fairly easy to replace and the cutting is very dramatic for youngsters
not 'getting it'. LOL Those were the days.
Taria

Old May 28th 11, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 27/05/2011 19:58, NightMist wrote:

We were talking while my DH was doing some electronic repairs for a
client, and came around to a question that has nagged us for years.

When people throw away things that have a power cord, why do they often
cut the cord off?

They do it on everything from refrigerators to radios, and I have never
figured out why.

NightMist

Safety: stops people using something that is probably dangerous.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old May 28th 11, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I always cut the cord off, figuring that if anybody picks the item out
of the trash they will have to work to make it work again so they can
get electrocuted -- I hope that discourages them. I only throw
dangerous electric items into the trash. (Safe and working items go
to the church rummage sale.)
Old May 28th 11, 07:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Fri, 27 May 2011 20:44:50 -0700, Mary wrote:

I always cut the cord off, figuring that if anybody picks the item out
of the trash they will have to work to make it work again so they can
get electrocuted -- I hope that discourages them. I only throw
dangerous electric items into the trash. (Safe and working items go to
the church rummage sale.)

Yeah that is the weirdest thing.
DD3 volunteers at the Humane Society thrift shop, and people very often
bring in stuff where the cord has been cut off.

I get cutting the cord off something that could be dangerous, but cutting
it off a donation item?

Guy we know picked up a multifunction stereo off the curb, and brought it
over to see if DH could help him see if it was salvageable. The only
thing wrong with it was the cd table was out of alignment, yet the cord
had been cut off. The rest of the thing, radio, cassette player, record
player, were all perfectly functional. There was no discernible
electrical hazard
Me I would have just looked for a new cd table, assuming you can still
buy those modular. It's been awhile since I got a new one so I don't
know if you can still buy them separately and plug them into your
stereo's input jack.

I guess maybe it is just habit. An electrical thing stops working and
you cut the cord off before you chuck it.

Now who has a box full of cut off cords lurking about that you will
probably never use? (G)

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?