more about hats .....

Old December 4th 05, 05:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default more about hats .....

I always made hats for myself and for others...
i have made them middle out , outside in , sideways , straight on 2
needles , crochet , on circular/dp and even in Tunisian crochet ,,,
have one entrelac etc,,, i just enjoy making them from same wool as
sweaters ,,,, have made up many of my own patterns, as well as
leraning from mags, books and looking at other hats .... Have had
failures ,,,just made it and it wasn`t what i wanted , had some stolen
from me and some lost ..... and some fell into the washing machine and
turned Felted purses ....
I am curious , Those of you who make hats , which is you preffered
technique ???? i mean inside out ? outside in ? number of needles
etc????
mirjam

Old December 4th 05, 07:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I've only ever made two hats, Mirjam. The first one I made as a teenager
was way too small, so I gave it to my neice who loved it. The second one is
still around here somewhere... likely in a bag with other stuff I haven't
come across yet. But both of them were made so long ago that I honestly
can't remember which way I made them... but I'm thinking they were from the
bottom up to the top of the head.

Gemini

Old December 4th 05, 09:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
I always made hats for myself and for others...
i have made them middle out , outside in , sideways , straight on 2
needles , crochet , on circular/dp and even in Tunisian crochet ,,,
have one entrelac etc,,, i just enjoy making them from same wool as
sweaters ,,,, have made up many of my own patterns, as well as
leraning from mags, books and looking at other hats .... Have had
failures ,,,just made it and it wasn`t what i wanted , had some stolen
from me and some lost ..... and some fell into the washing machine and
turned Felted purses ....
I am curious , Those of you who make hats , which is you preffered
technique ???? i mean inside out ? outside in ? number of needles
etc????

Most of the hats I've made were outside in. I use double points and
knit in the round. Even though I almost always have trouble getting
the decreases just right, I find it easier (so far) than trying to
start from the middle. I've been using up old yarn scraps lately by
making miscellaneous hats - some striped, some with more complicated
patterns made up as I go along. It's a good way to experiment with
colors and if I don't like the result, I rip it out and redo it easily.

=Tamar
Old December 4th 05, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
I always made hats for myself and for others...
i have made them middle out , outside in , sideways , straight on 2
needles , crochet , on circular/dp and even in Tunisian crochet ,,,
have one entrelac etc,,, i just enjoy making them from same wool as
sweaters ,,,, have made up many of my own patterns, as well as
leraning from mags, books and looking at other hats .... Have had
failures ,,,just made it and it wasn`t what i wanted , had some stolen
from me and some lost ..... and some fell into the washing machine and
turned Felted purses ....
I am curious , Those of you who make hats , which is you preffered
technique ???? i mean inside out ? outside in ? number of needles
etc????
mirjam

I haven't made many hats, but have only done them in a really simple
crochet pattern.

Chain 5 and join.
1 sc in each st - 5 sts
2 2 sc in each st - 10 sts
3 sc in first st, 2 sc in next st, repeat - 15 sts
4 sc in fist 2 st, 2 sc in next st, repeat - 20 sts
5 etc, continue this way until piece is wide enough for the top of the
head for whomever. Then sc around without increasing until long enough.
Fasten off.

Depending on the size of the hook and thickness of yarn, this can be
done starting with 7 stitches in the beginning chain and increasing 7
sts around until it's big enough to crochet straight.

This makes a very warm hat, can be beanie sized or longer with a cuff to
turn up over the ears.

Now that I've revisited that pattern, I may have to make one for my
sweetie. He'd like it.

sue
Old December 4th 05, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thank you for sharing that pattern, Sue! I have lots of yarn in bags and
baskets upstairs that I want to use to make warm items for the needy this
winter. This pattern of yours sounds great. I have it saved now! )

Gemini

"suzee" wrote in message
eenews.net...
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
[...]

Ot ,,,, Both recievers of Moebious hats are happy with the results ++++ Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 5 December 3rd 05 01:52 AM
ISO Kittens/Cats with cowboy hats Liz Needlework 8 August 25th 05 07:03 PM
chemo hats Steve & Paulette Lashley Yarn 7 September 28th 03 05:19 PM
Felt Hats Tania Yarn 1 September 24th 03 12:29 AM
Zulu ceremonial hats Gary Smith Marketplace 0 August 6th 03 04:39 PM