What on earth do I do with this?

Old August 28th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default What on earth do I do with this?

Got any friends with small kayak? It could make a kayak
cover. Other wise, ask if a scouting unit would need it
to make stuff bags for sleeping bags, etc.
PAT in VA/USA

John wrote:

Here is a question for all you knowledgeable folks. Somebody gave me
about 5+ yards of Stretch Blue Chambray. Aside from the obvious of
making a pair of hot pants for the entire Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
squad, what in the world could I use this stuff for. I don't use
stretch stuff for anything so I am totally at a loss. I can't use it
for quilting because, well, it stretches. You thought you had trouble
making your points match; well, this stuff would be the ultimate
challenge. It is off the bolt, so I assume it has been washed, but
maybe not. Perspiring minds want to know and any and all replies will
be given careful, if mirthful, consideration.

John

Old August 29th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

John wrote:
Here is a question for all you knowledgeable folks. Somebody gave me
about 5+ yards of Stretch Blue Chambray. Aside from the obvious of
making a pair of hot pants for the entire Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
squad, what in the world could I use this stuff for. I don't use
stretch stuff for anything so I am totally at a loss. I can't use it
for quilting because, well, it stretches. You thought you had trouble
making your points match; well, this stuff would be the ultimate
challenge. It is off the bolt, so I assume it has been washed, but
maybe not. Perspiring minds want to know and any and all replies will
be given careful, if mirthful, consideration.

John

Just parcel it up and send it to me.

I can't think of anything to do with it yet, but something will occur in
the fullness of time...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 29th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Sounds like a good plan. John, should I send you my measurements? Would
love a pair of elastic-waist trousers in chambray!

Not a bad beg, hey?

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"Patti" wrote in message
Very comfortable trousers - his and hers.
If you have some left over after this, you could make matching, lined
waistcoats (vests), with machine embroidery decoration - or even some
appliqué!

There you go ...
.
In message .com, John
writes
Here is a question for all you knowledgeable folks. Somebody gave me
about 5+ yards of Stretch Blue Chambray. Aside from the obvious of
making a pair of hot pants for the entire Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
squad, what in the world could I use this stuff for. I don't use
stretch stuff for anything so I am totally at a loss. I can't use it
for quilting because, well, it stretches. You thought you had trouble
making your points match; well, this stuff would be the ultimate
challenge. It is off the bolt, so I assume it has been washed, but
maybe not. Perspiring minds want to know and any and all replies will
be given careful, if mirthful, consideration.

John

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old August 29th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Too funny!

John, just keep in mind what you are going to use the clothing for. Not all
synthetics are always "bad" (ask some serious mountain climbers, they know
the value of various wools and synthetics) and not all natural fabrics are
always "good" (in cold weather, cotton is your enemy).

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo, who loves to wear cool cottons almost year-round.
And who now knows not to get cottons for her mountain-climbing son.

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"Patti" wrote in message
Marvellous!

I just have to tell a story he
On the old TV programme 'The Good Life' (which some of you might have
seen), Tom and Barbara were trying to do everything from 'the land' =
their garden.
They were given some fleeces, as I recall, and Barbara spun this into wool
yarn. This was then dyed with dye made from nettles - a very bright
green! She then wove this bright green wool yarn into cloth, and made Tom
a suit. It was quite well made; but, of course, looked hysterical. It
was somewhat of the texture of Harris tweed! They went to some function
(I've forgotten what) and Tom wore his hand made suit. He wore a cream
trench coat over it, but, when he had to remove the coat, the reactions of
those around were predictable gg
I'm sorry if I'm spoiling the story by bad telling, but it really was
very, very funny. So, John, no dyeing with nettles (or other garden weeds
perhaps?)!
.
In message . com, John
writes
I threatened to make a stretch leisure suit and my wife almost spit
her coffee across the breakfast table at me, and she couldn't stop
laughing. I am definitely NOT the leisure suit kind of guy. Everything
I own is 100 percent cotton or wool. The one exception is bicycle
clothing. Lycra is the only exception I make, and I have started to
make cotton and wool cycling clothes to eliminate that exception. I
have a long range goal of producing all of the clothes I wear. I am
going to learn to knit this winter, so I can make myself some Merino
wool socks and then I plan to get a cover-stitch machine after the
first of the year so that I can sew jersey t-shirts. I then can make
cotton boxer briefs and with the addition of pants and shirt and
jacket, I will have an outfit that is 100 percent custom made by me. I
will probably be so stressed out from the endeavor that they will have
to bury me in it. But, I will be a rather nattily dressed corpse.

John

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old August 29th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Right you are, John! Though I would have loved a pair of
trousers...............

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Jill at Critter comforts has contacted me and I am going to ship the
stuff off to her. I contacted our local humane society and offered to
do what Jill does for the dogs and they said, "They didn't want to
bother with beds for the dogs as that would be too much trouble
cleaning the cages out". Really puts the humane in humane society. I
assume that is a local decision as the one we have is very
understaffed and underfunded. Oh well, Jill can do the good deed.

John

Old August 29th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 28, 11:24 pm, "Carolyn McCarty"
wrote:
Too funny!

John, just keep in mind what you are going to use the clothing for. Not all
synthetics are always "bad" (ask some serious mountain climbers, they know
the value of various wools and synthetics) and not all natural fabrics are
always "good" (in cold weather, cotton is your enemy).

--

I have made a number of things out of wool and they seem to suit my
cold weather bicycling needs better than anything else I have used.

John

Old August 29th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Please let me know if it worked. If it did, I'll switch teachers as you may
be able to teach me sumpin the Queen missed--or I missed hearing.

Butterfly (YES, I DID 'just' have my hearing checked and yes, I am having
trouble with background noises so now the guys have to hit the TV MUTE if
they wanna talk at me : )