Pattern for a Thneed

Old November 23rd 05, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Pattern for a Thneed

I admire Dr. Suess as well. All of my kids loved to read his books and
learned much about how to read with them. I think the man's work is
brilliant.

BB

Old November 23rd 05, 06:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Have no Idea who Dick & Jane are ??? You must remember that Dr Seus is
a very English /American thing ,,,,,and wasn`t translated into other
languages for many years...... We had other Children`s books , about
which i can talk. When we came to Usa , my children read what their
age group read [ high school and junior high school] .
Several years ago i saw one Dr Seus translated into Hebrews , a good
translation , but he didn`t catch here at all , thus i don`t think
that many more than 2-3 were translated.
I used to be a librarian , and was very lucky to work in the Haifa
University while it was being built , built the Periodicals departmemt
and the Catalogs,,,,, did a lot of shopping as well .... :::::
used to say i was the luckiest person Buying hundreds of books and
never paying for them ::::
I have the habit stil of picking up new books in shops, and have ideas
about what i like or not , My children were Piled with every possible
book i could afford.....
mirjam

"The YARNWRIGHT" wrote in
:

You're not alone, there, Mirjam. I always felt the Dr.
Seuss books were Demeaning to children...

no, those Dick & Jane books were demeaning to children. Dr.
Suess is very intelligent & full of very subtle and powerful
messages on ecology, war, etc.
the rhyming prose is one of the *best* ways for children to
learn reading through listening. it develops many different
parts of the brain.
i'm sorry you think Dr.Suess is beneath you. i, too, was an
early reader, starting before 3 & reading my dad's Master's
degree coursework texts when i was 4 & 5. i *loved* the
Dr.Suess books & read them to my older brother (who wasn't an
early reader).
i read them to my 5 years younger brother when he came along
& i used them to teach him to read by himself at age 4. i am
now reading them (& have been since his birth) to my now 5
year old...who is also starting to read them on his own.
lee

Old November 23rd 05, 06:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Have no Idea who Dick & Jane are ???

Dick and Jane were the incredibly boring characters in a set of beginning
reader's textbooks from the late 1940s and 1950s. The text was limited
to sentences that were mostly only three words long: "See Dick run."

You must remember that Dr Seus is a very English /American thing ,
and wasn`t translated into other languages for many years....

I can't imagine anyone being able to translate Dr Seuss books,
they depend so much on the sounds of the language and the made-up words.
I liked the earlier books more than the later ones and can still quote
some of them.

Several years ago i saw one Dr Seus translated into Hebrews , a good
translation , but he didn`t catch here at all , thus i don`t think
that many more than 2-3 were translated.

I would think that most of them are untranslatable.

=Tamar
Old November 23rd 05, 07:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
"madhatress" wrote:

For Christmas this year, DBF's uncle has requested that I knit him a Thneed?
Does anyone know where I can find one? I have been Googling, but haven't
found much.

Nadia ?
A thneed ????? What is that ???
never met this word , maybe he wants a sneed ???
if so i had a pattern somewhere ,,,,i am off to look ...no result so
far ,,, I am so sure i knew it once ,,, but i might be wrong ,,, It is
a kind of head covering scarf isn`t it ?? shold be in the
neighbourhood of a wimple , a barbette ,gorget etc...

Oddly enough, you're right, sort of... the made-up word is for something
that can be all of those, and more.

DBF's uncle is being silly. If it were me, and I had time, I'd knit him
a loose, lacy tube out of scrap yarn, maybe leftovers from those fun-fur
and funky-yarn scarves, on really big needles.

=Tamar
Old November 23rd 05, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Come to think of it Tamar and after finding a sneed on the google,,,,,
i would recommend a book called "45 Fine & Fanciful hats to knit" by
Anna Zilboorg, Lark books,1997. The firs model of Hat Angela hats
might be in line for being almost a sneed ::::mirjam

Old November 23rd 05, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default OT: Children's books was Pattern for a Thneed

I think Dick and Jane are even older as I remember them from when I started
school in 1941. I wonder if the books are still in use anywhere.
Unfortunately, Dr. Suess was too late for me so I never had was exposed to
his books.

--
Jan in MN

Old November 23rd 05, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Jan,

You can still buy Dick, Jane, Spot and Buff at Walmarts. I saw them
there last year. Those were the ones we used when I was learning to
read in 1st grade back in 1949.

Hugs,

Nora

Old November 24th 05, 06:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thank you Tamar ,,, this was really interestimng to read.
I started First grade once in Holland , where [as far as i remember]
we started with letters written on the blackboard and copied into
copybooks , i seem to remember their greenish dark cover more that i
remember the inside !!!] , Than went to Israel, [ in the Kibboets we
actually slept and ate and lived with the age group in children`s
homes] the system there was closer to the Montesori system , i.e. we
learned by subjects ,,, we had no specail books , we barely had enough
paper.
mirjam
Old November 24th 05, 06:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Oh Gwendoline , waht delightful memories , and what a good example ,
to waht i alays claim, that reading parents have [mostly] reading
children ,,,,,, There is a saying that one starts to educate a child
25 years before he/she is born , by educating the mother ....
Have great joy with your wonderful daughters.
mirjam
ps both mine read like me before they were 6 .... [=before school]

Noreen I can understand your "devouring" books - my girls were the same and
in third grade in their May break of two weeks they had to write a book and
make it look like a real book with notes of the author etc and references to
any one who inspired the book etc.

DD #1,Shauna spent her time reseaching the origin of the piano from
Encyclopaedia Britannica. She started from the very beginning up to the
present instrument, giving her inspiration as Sister Mary Therese her piano
teacher. I still have the book.

-- DD #1 who was just five years of age, and not required to write a book,
also did one about her holiday break and illustrated it with pictures from
magazines - still have that one too and marvel at her good spelling
considering the graduates from high school nowadays.

Both girls a currently writing books - Shauna a text book on Statistics and
Colleen a text book on Dressage God Bless Gwen

Gwen Kelly

"The YARNWRIGHT" wrote in message
Yes, Mirjam!
First, I was deathly sick a lot in second grade, and spent a lot of time
reading in bed.
Then, in third grade, there was a contest over summer break, to read a

book
a week, and write a book report.
A book a Week?? Childrens books? Well, heck, I had the 'lists' of ALL

the
recommended books for my age group read in a week, with 9 weeks of summer
break to go!
On to the next age group and so on, till I had read and wrote book reports
on more than anyone participating in the City of Chicago School districts!
My mom still has my award.
Hugs,
Noreen

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Noreen you TOO read so much and as `soon ` as possible??? when i was a
teenager there were not so many Hebrew Teenager suitable books , and i
was a Heavy Reader ,,,, thus i read almost every thing ,,,, At 16 i
got Rheumatic Fever and was bedridden , thus i asked my mother to go
to the public library and bring me books , in the order they stood on
the shelves , and i read all the Hebrew and English books they had .
In those times Russian Literature was still The Thing here ,,Later
when my children grew up i read what they read ,,,,, but not dr Zeus
which they never read ,,,Here it was not so known [ only by name]
mirjam

"enigma" wrote in message
. 9...
"madhatress" wrote in
:

Hi All,

For Christmas this year, DBF's uncle has requested that I
knit him a Thneed? Does anyone know where I can find one? I
have been Googling, but haven't found much.

tell DBF's uncle you would be delighted to knit him a thneed
(everyone needs a thneed!) but he will have to provide you
with the Truffula tuft. a proper thneed can *only* be made of
Truffula!

lee hoping everyone gets the Dr.Suess reference...

Well, I know it's Suess, after the other post telling us so, but gotta
say,
I never got into Dr. Suess... thought it was beneath me, even as a

little
kid....
(I was reading at a 2nd year college level in the fourth grade... back
THEN
2nd year college was something to be PROUD of, not like the remedial

level
they're at 'today', lol!)
JM2C,
Noreen

Old November 24th 05, 01:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mirjam, a friend who was a libarian gave two to the girls one year when DD
#1 was almost four and could read them but Colleen was only a baby and so
we kind of had a second round when she got to be able to read them. It was
great fun to read these rhyming books to them when they were tiny.

They could both read before they went to school at five years of age and
Shauna was only 8 when she researched the book on piano. God Bless gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
I must say i am tottaly ignorant about Dr, Zeus books , only saw one
once ,
mirjam

"madhatress" wrote in
m:

Hi All,

For Christmas this year, DBF's uncle has requested that I
knit him a Thneed? Does anyone know where I can find one? I
have been Googling, but haven't found much.

tell DBF's uncle you would be delighted to knit him a thneed
(everyone needs a thneed!) but he will have to provide you
with the Truffula tuft. a proper thneed can *only* be made of
Truffula!

lee hoping everyone gets the Dr.Suess reference...

--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Child's hat pattern M. Burwell Yarn 6 July 1st 04 05:25 PM
Modifying a pattern Slinky Yarn 5 May 10th 04 11:58 PM
New FREE downloadable PMP 4 crossstitch pattern "Country Kitchen" available :O))) Misty Needlework 0 March 14th 04 01:54 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - art nouveau window to spring ! Misty Needlework 1 February 3rd 04 01:52 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - Sweet valentine :OD ! Misty Needlework 0 January 30th 04 09:36 PM