Fruits we spoke about... Enjoy! :o)

Old September 18th 05, 04:32 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Gwendoline
Kelly" wrote:

Katherine and Els
Els reading from the label of my 1 kg jar of vegemite , here are the
contents

Yeast extract,mineral salt, malt extract (from barley), natural
colour,vegetable extract,niacin,thamine,riboflavin,folate, preservative220.

A tiny 5 gr serve is just 9 calories and contains 5 gr of protein, less than
a gr of sugar,1 gr of carbohtdrate, No fat, and 25 % of the recommended
daily requirement of both Niacin and Riboflavin, and 50 % of the recommended
daily requirement of Folate and Thamine.

So I do not think there would be any soy in it .

Since I have the jar in front of me - and to totally bore you both -
Katherine please not the Canadian connection - I quote the story of Vegemite
as written on the label.

"Vegemite - Australian Born and Bred.
The vegemite story started in 1923 after WW! when supplies of imported yeast
extract were delayed. Fred Walker a business visionary and founder of Fred
Walker and Co enlisted support of Dr Cyril P Callister, a brilliant young
scientist to create an Australian made yeast spread.
After many attempts they developed a spread that would fit the bill, but
what to call it ??

The company could not come up with a name so a competition was held, and the
response was so great that the only way to choose a winner was to have an
entry drawn out of a hat. Fred's daughter ,Shielagh, drew an entry out of
the hat and it was "Vegemite" and thus an Australian icon was born.

At the same time Fred Walker joined forces with a Canadian, James Kraft to
start a joint venture company - The Kraft Walker Cheese Company. Vegemite
has been made In Melbourne since 1923. And it is from here that we
continue to put a rose in every cheek" unquote God Bless Gwen

Gwen Kelly

Gwen thanks for that recital, it sounds great. great Australian
saffy...LOL and entrepreneurship (how is that for a big word first thing
on Sunday morning). I would love to try it on a cracker, or some home
made bread.

I have never seen it here, but maybe in a healthfood store it may be
found. It does sound indeed a bit like marmite.

The trouble with food labels, at least here in Canada, is, that there are
catch phrases such as:" vegetable oils", etc. Soyabean products would
fall into that catagory, being a vegetable. The soyabean crops are the
larges and cheapest crops grown in the world. Thus what you find now is
that soy flour and soy oils are replacing the traditional flours and oils
in foods. when I walked along Danforth Avenue, in Toronto recently, a
huge shiny oil tanker stopped in front of Papa's reataurant. I had to
stop for the guy with the hose. I thought it was heating oil, however
when I looked closely it was soyabean oil pumped into the side of the
restaurant. Good buy olive oils. This is one of the great Toronto Greek
restaurants. Another thing you have to worry about when you go out
eating. If someone had told me that that is how cooking oils are
delivered I would not have believed it. LOL
There are now lots of warnings out for allergic reactions to soy
products. When Skye was born, in 2000, there were lots of written
information pamflets in the hopital, warning about not using soy products
for babies and infants because of their allergic possibilities. I know
that at the same time Soy products can be very healthy.

Els
Old September 19th 05, 12:07 PM
Gwendoline Kelly

That give food for thought , Els ( pardon the unintended pun !) I have no
idea if "vegetable oils "in vegemite contain soy - certainly when it was
first made it did not because soy was simply not grown here and even now it
is not a very plentiful crop at all - but of course it can now be imported.
At least I am not allergic to soy so I will not have to think of giving it
up God Bless gwen

--

Gwen Kelly