Quilting tablerunners/potholders

Old October 7th 04, 07:47 PM
Marlys in Indiana

Default Quilting tablerunners/potholders

What is your opinion on "batting" for tablerunners? I'm thinking that low
loft batting is even too thick. Also thought of light weight fleece or
flannel.
And for potholders/trivets I have the Insul Bright, but I thought I read or
heard that you should also use a layer of batting as well. Is it really
necessary to use batting in them as well along with the Insul Bright?
Any and all ideas welcome. TIA
Marlys in Indiana

--

http://community.webshots.com/user/marletts

Old October 7th 04, 10:12 PM
Pauline O'Connell

The only potholders I ever make, call for a layer of Insul Bright & 2 layers
of regular batting - one on each side of the Insul Bright. They are very
insulated & I haven't burned myself yet.

Re Tablerunners - Hobbs make a very lightweight batting called Thermore.
I've used it for placemats, so should also be good in a tablerunner.

Pauline

Old October 8th 04, 12:26 PM
Roberta Zollner

If you have a lot of piecing in your runner, keep in mind that a layer of
batting gives all those seams somewhere to fall into. Actually makes the
surface a little more smooth and even.
No ideas about potholders. I never make them. LITS
Roberta in D

Old October 8th 04, 01:19 PM
KJ

That's an excellent point Roberta. I'd never thought of that. You learn
something new here everyday!

Kathyl
remove "nospam-" before mchsi

Old October 8th 04, 03:05 PM
Marlys in Indiana

Never thought of that either. Really don't have a lot
of piecing but that is a good point. Guess I'll just
whip out the load of batting that I have and start cutting
away. Thanks Roberta.
Marlys in Indiana

Old October 8th 04, 05:06 PM
nbhilyard

Marlys,
I have used flannel in table runners and placemats. It adds a soft but not
puffy layer.

For potholders I use Window Quilt / Warm Window, or whatever it's called. It
is the multi-layered product used for thick insulated window shades. It
machine washes and dries just fine (of course it's encased in the potholder
top and back). One yard makes a lot of potholders--use the Joann's coupon
on it if it's not on sale.

Nann

Old October 9th 04, 05:03 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:47:26 GMT, "Marlys in Indiana"
wrote:

What is your opinion on "batting" for tablerunners? I'm thinking that low
loft batting is even too thick. Also thought of light weight fleece or
flannel.
And for potholders/trivets I have the Insul Bright, but I thought I read or
heard that you should also use a layer of batting as well. Is it really
necessary to use batting in them as well along with the Insul Bright?
Any and all ideas welcome. TIA
Marlys in Indiana

I've never made tablerunners, but for potholders, I cut up old
towels. 2 layers of an old towel provide loads of protection from hot
pans, and I have a towel with a big hole in it right now. Why buy new
(expensive) batting for something which, if used, will be burned and
battered in the course of time?
Similarly, I cut up old sox and add them to my rag bag of thread
snips, selvage edges, and other bits from sewing. When I have enough,
I stuff big pillows with these rags. This makes a nice heavy pillow
which is nice for a couch, or on the floor for when folks are watching
TV or reading... they have been very popular and as soon as I make
one, someone wants it!
Another good tip for selvages from pretty fabrics is, they make
great apron strings, loops for potholder, or loops for towels. Again,
this takes some storage space and forethought, but lovely stripy
selvage edges really helped transform a set of lavender towels I
appliqued things on for a friend.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old October 10th 04, 09:05 PM
Pati Cook

I have also used fusible fleece for placemats. Just made a couple of table
runners and used Comfortloft batting. It is poly and very "flat", but gives a
bit of dimension for the quilting.
I also like to use Comfortloft for wallhangings because it is so light, makes
the WH easier to hang.

For anything that will be in direct contact with very hot pans and such you need
some cotton batting. I have made pot holders with both Warm and Natural and the
dreaded Mountain Mist cotton, at least 2 layer of either (one way to use the MM
that doesn't like to unroll in large pieces anyway.......) I have some
InsulBrite and it is a poly batt with a metallic layer in the middle. The poly
would probably melt if there wasn't a cotton batt layer to protect it.

Pati, in Phx

Old October 25th 04, 06:51 PM
BVJ

Selvage edges have become my signature ribbon for wrapping packages. My
grandkids and friends get a kick out of it.

Cheers, Faye in CO
Old October 25th 04, 08:33 PM
Susan Laity Price

Great idea! I used to give my selvage edges to a friend who weaves but
now she quilts more than she weaves so she doesn't need them any more.

Susan