ch 6 of the fairy story - ot

Old October 5th 03, 07:53 PM
alia

Default ch 6 of the fairy story - ot

ok, cut and pasted this from word, and i cant get the old thread so
this is just chapter six if you need past chapters let me know

Chapter 6

It was four weeks to the celebration and the second full meeting of
the decorations committee was afoot. Bess had already gotten
everyone's attention, for which she did not have to fight this time.
Fairies had come ready with questions and focus for the nearing of the
date was felt by everyone.

Bess had each member of the design team run their portion of the
meeting wherein the floor was opened to general concerns and questions
as well as brainstorming for problems faced. There were not so many
problems as logistics to be worked out: timing and set up and who was
to do what.

Rickie was having a bit of trouble with his team in finding an
aesthetic way to get the prisms around the tree. Everyone wanted them
to be in a halo, but no one could quite figure how to do it without it
being a real eye sore. During the brainstorming session it was
suggested by Carrie that some ladybugs be commissioned. Some fresh
pollen could be painted on the halo leaves and the ladybugs would be
happy enough to fly from leaf to leaf with the prisms hanging from
their necks.

Everyone thought this was a wonderful idea, especially since it was
always a good idea to keep up ladybug relations. There were a few
more pressing problems like that one solved, and everyone left the
meeting feeling like they had some real, clear goals.

Bess took notes diligently on everything that was discussed and what
was decided as a resolution so she could go home and enter all the
pertinant information on her timetable. She was so involved in her
organizations that she did not even notice that antoine had been
staring at her the whole meeting.

By the end, he finally worked up enough courage to approach her.
‘bess?'

‘o yes, antoine, what can I do for you?'

‘well, I was ah, I was wondering if we could maybe, um, maybe have
some dinner tonight?'

‘oh! You want to discuss the silk commission? I know you have a
friend in the business but I really think we should go with the east
river company.'

‘o, no, no, that's fine. I was hoping we could just, you know, go
out?'

there was a silence that was far to long for antoine.

‘well? What do you think?'

bess fidgeted a bit, she was really hoping this day would not come.
‘um, antoine, I am really flattered. In fact, I am even a little
curious, but this just isnt the time for me. There is so much going
on, and I really don't think there is room in my life for this sort of
thing. I hope you understand.'

Antoine, crushed, pretended that he understood completely. ‘o, of
course, bessie, that's fine. I really did not want to put an extra
stain on you-‘

‘no its not that, its just-‘

‘no, don't worry, I understand. I am happy to be working with you.
You are a wonderful fairy.'

‘and so are you antoine, I do admire your work very much. Thank you
for understanding. This will not effect our working relationship at
all.'

Antoine left sad and dissapointed, but hid it well out of a sense of
being polite. He did understand that bess was busy, he just hoped he
would mean more to her than that. As bess watched him walk away,
bewildered, and heartsick, sharon approached her.

Sharon was an exceptionally large fairy. Not too tall, but very big.
In her day she had been one of the most desired fairies and was almost
as beautiful then as she was now. (fairies tend to get more beautiful
with age.) She was a red fairy, from head to toe, and every part of
her was quite large except her feet and hands, which were about
normal. She had a huge bust and a huge bottom, balanced by big broad
shoulders and wide round hips. She had a big pear shaped belly and
strong shapely legs and arms. Her face was her best feature, with
high arching eyebrows and cheekbones, a big face with a strong jaw and
perfect lips. She didn't smile often, but when she did, she lit up
the whole forest.

‘bessie, honey, I couldn't help but overhear the last part of your
talk with antoine.'

‘o, really? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make a scene or anything…'

‘no not at all, bess, not at all.' Sharon knew enough to know that if
she just stood there long enough bessie would pour her heart out to
her.

‘well, sharon, the truth is I just don't know what to do about
antoine! He is so sweet and all but I just don't have time for that
sort of thing in my life right now… I don't know. I don't want to
hurt him though. Why couldn't he wait until after the celebration at
least?'

sharon was quiet and let bessie relax a little, and she thought of
what she wanted to say and how she wanted to say it. ‘well sweetie,
of course these are things that only you and your own heart can
decide. Just don't put off love, it is one of the few things you
really shouldn't procrastinate about.' Sharon gave bessie a hug; then
her enormous wings unfolded well below her feet and carried her away.

Bessie walked home that night, she couldn't bring herself to fly. She
thought about what sharon had said. She thought of all her diligence
and attention to detail when it came to glass and charts and goals,
and how little time she spent thinking about love. She didn't know
what to do. She had a restless sleep that night.

_______
Old October 5th 03, 08:05 PM
Carol in SLC

Anxiously awaiting Chapter 7!

Carol in SLC
New auctions: http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=5530
Old October 5th 03, 09:33 PM
Kandice Seeber

Ooooh, poor Antoine!!
Love it, Alia.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 18th 03, 08:12 PM
alia

finally......

chapter 7

bessie checked her charts. she double checked them. and tripple
checked them; no, there was no doubt about it, they were 2 days ahead
of schedule. she checked again, just to make sure.

the 5 week meeting was scheduled for tomorrow, meaning there was now 3
weeks left to the celebration, and bessie decided that in light of her
present findings, which she checked again while planning the day, she
was going to have a surprise for everyone. she had decided to have a
swim day. it was the last day in febuary and would be the first swim
day the fairies had had since before winter. other fairies had
already gone to the river, but they had all been working so hard, they
had missed their chances.

when the meeting began bessie came up very sternly. she saw how tired
and worn everyone looked and reveled in her little rouse. 'we have
only 3 weeks left! you realize that in spite of all your hard work,
time marches on and the day approaches! i see you look tired, well
there is no place for that! no, we will not have a bunch of fairies
lackadaising about their work spaces for the next days until the
festival! no! we will have a swim day instead!'

everyone was very quiet while they tried to figure out if she meant it
or not, but as they looked at the smile on her face, they saw that
they had been tricked, and burst into cheers! suddenly there was a
swarm of fairies buzzing about frantically, not wanting to waste
another moment before getting to the river. they all went to their
respective homes to get their supplies, yes fairies need supplies to
go swimming, and made for the river.

the river was not a very big river, really, and the fairies knew this,
but they didnt care. by our standards it would hardly be called a
stream, but the big rivers we play in are really altogether too much
hassle for fairies. you see, fairy wings, though amazingly strong,
are very thin, and a large gust of water could tear right through
them. not rain, 'cause there is enough wind in rain to catch, and
move away, but emersed in water, fairies do have to take precautions.

about 5 1/2 minutes after the meeting was 'adjourned' the river was
lined with 88 fairies, all oiling up. to protect their wings, they
must slather them in oil before they go jumping in the river, and
generally reapply every few hours. they do wear swimsuits, but they
would be considered scanty even by the most fashion friendly
sensablilities. bess decided to go over to antoine and ask if he
would please check her wings to see that they were sufficiently oiled.

antoine, confused, took a good look at them and noticed she had missed
a spot. 'o, could you get that for me?' she asked; he said he would,
and went ahead and oiled up the last bit on her lower wing. 'so' she
asked, 'would you like to have a swim with me?'

antoine wasnt sure what she was up to, but he was not about to miss
this. 'well, thats an interesting offer miss bessie... i'll race you
to the other end!' and they were off together. bess decided she had
made a mistake brushing him off so easily. she would hardly admit it,
but part of the reason she planned the swim day was to get to know him
better. she looked around as she splashed and played with antoine,
laughing and squealing even (something she did not do, as a rule).
she looked over and saw that rickie and carrie were sitting beside
eachother on a large sunny stone by the river, talking. it looked as
if they decided to get to know eachother better as well. 'thats nice'
she thought, and then antoine dunked her under the water.

everyone had a wonderful day, it was bright and even warmer than
expected (although fairies are pretty hearty when it comes to weather)
and no one had a bad time. i think suzie had the best time. she, of
course, had the best suit, and her oils were all perfumed with sweet
gardenia and cinnimon, a very potent combination. every young male
fairy on the team, with the exception of antoine and ricky, were
following her around like puppies, carrying her around on large
leaves, and fanning her with down feathers. the other girls didnt
mind because suzie only paid attention to the girls, and sent all the
boys throughout the day on errands for them. she was the bell of the
ball that day, and organized diving compititions and swim suit
compititions all on a whim! she had just been dying for a party, and
this was close enough.

not everyone was involved though, not just bess and carrie and their
beauxs were left out, many of the older fairies sat baking in the sun,
or took boat rides, talking to eachother, or swam far up and back down
the river to enjoy the pull of the current, and all the boisterous
youngsters were very respectful of the fact that not everyone was into
those sorts of things, and didnt get in anyone's way.

as the sun went down, after many re-oilings, people started out of the
river. bess called to everyone in a loud voice, 'everyone, before you
go, we did this because thanks to your hard work we were 2 days ahead
of schedule. your team leaders have things under control, but we did
miss a meeting. remember, if you have any concerns, go to your team
leaders or me if you feel you need to, and keep up the good work!
we'll go back to work tomorrow, as scheduled!' they resounded a
clamouring but somewhat orchestrated, 'thank you bessie' and went off
to their homes.

antoine walked bessie home. they kept their heads down, except for
shy glances at one another now and then, and they smiled to
themselves. when they arrived back at her door she said to him,
'antoine, i am sorry i turned you down for dinner. i feel i didn't
give you enough of a chance. the truth is, i am so involved with what
i am doing i think i overlooked something very important, and i hope i
haven't missed out on a chance to get to know you.'

'o bessie,' he swooned, 'i would not have given up on you so easily.
we dont have to do anything you dont have time for. we dont have to
rush, but it is so good to know that it really was timing, and not me,
that kept you from saying yes...'

'no, it was timing. and look, now we are 2 days ahead of schedule
because i am so set on making everything perfect... anyway, the truth
is, i would love to have dinner with you. and we dont have to wait.
i am ready when you are.'

'well bessie,' he said softly as he moved closer to her, 'i will be at
your house tomorrow night to cook you a lovely meal.' and with that,
he kissed her quickly on her cheek and flew away.

bessie just floated into her room, dizzy and giggly like she had never
been before, and fell right on her bed. another sleepless night for
bessie, but a much more pleasant one.
_____________________________________

Old October 18th 03, 09:03 PM
Tink

Alia, I just love reading your story...

--
Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
New auctions up, including Victorian Holly
http://snurl.com/2pun

Old October 19th 03, 08:20 PM
alia

yay i didnt even know you were reading it, tink, i am so glad

alia

Old October 20th 03, 01:05 PM
Carol in SLC

another sleepless night for bessie, but a much more pleasant one.

SWEET!

Carol in SLC
Old October 21st 03, 09:39 AM
Kandice Seeber