Marble Tile Revisited

Old August 17th 04, 04:28 PM
Chuck

Default Marble Tile Revisited

I haven't seen anything of Vicky since her initial thread on marble
tile, so I'm wondering if she is still reading this group. If you
are, I have a couple of questions:

What are your construction skills/capabilities, as far as refining raw
materials for use in your dollhouse?

and

What sort of tools do you have at your disposal for refining your
materials with?

I have several solutions to your marble dilemma, but would need to
know what you can do before I suggest something. As I said at the end
of the previous thread, I did some experimenting and determined that
the marble tile is pretty easy to cut, and have some suggestions on
how to do so.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Old August 24th 04, 12:33 AM
Chuck

On 23 Aug 2004 08:34:58 -0700, (Victoria R.)
wrote:

Sorry Chuck I was on vacation left on the 14th. I have all sorts of
tools, dremels, different types of saws and so on. I have only worked
with glass and use a grinder to make very small cuts for my windows. I
am very good with learning new technics and would be willing to give
anything a try.

Ah, there you are!

Well, there are a couple of ways to approach this. As I said, I can
get some fairly thin marble stock, but not as thin as you'd want for
1:12 scale tile, so you'd have to inlay the floor a bit. What I have
here is about 1/4" thick white marble, which is easily cut with any of
the following Dremel accessories:

Diamond Cutoff wheel - diamond dust on a metal wheel
Fiber Reinforced Carborundum Cutoff wheel
Composite Cutoff wheel (these are the very thin, brittle ones)

If you have a tile saw so much the better, but not many people have
one of those in their tool box.

Anyhow, my thought is this -- you could either cut individual, 1"x1"
tiles to set in your grout, using one of the above methods and a
straightedge, or, you could take a solid piece of marble of the
appropriate size to cover the whole floor and cut grooves in it to
simulate joints.

For this method, I would use either a diamond cone or ball or silicone
carbide (green) abrasive cone or ball to do the cuts, although it
would be possible to use one of the cutoff wheels if you have a flex
shaft for your Dremel. After you cut your grooves, you could just
put grout in the joints to make them look as if the floor was laid up
from individual tiles.

Now, bear in mind that if you use a solid piece of marble and just cut
joints in it, it may -look- like a solid piece with joints cut in it,
just because there'll be no interruption in the patter, except that
created by the joints. However, if the marble is plain white, or the
pattern is light and whispy enough (ie, not too defined), then it
might not be so readily apparent and the joints might fool the eye.

If you want/need any more detailed thoughts on this, don't hesitate to
ask, and I'll flesh out the idea as best I can.

Have fun!

Old August 24th 04, 05:47 PM
Victoria R.

(Chuck) wrote in message ...
On 23 Aug 2004 08:34:58 -0700,
(Victoria R.)
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Chuck
I was actually able to finally pick up some samples while on vacation.
I am going to play around and see what I can come up with and if I
need some more help I won't be shy about asking, the advice so far has
been great. Thanks again and I will keep you posted.
Vicky
Old August 28th 04, 10:32 PM
Victoria R.

(Chuck) wrote in message ...
On 24 Aug 2004 09:47:23 -0700,
(Victoria R.)
wrote:

I was actually able to finally pick up some samples while on vacation.
I am going to play around and see what I can come up with and if I
need some more help I won't be shy about asking, the advice so far has
been great. Thanks again and I will keep you posted.

Oh, good. How thin a material were you able to get?

I'll be anxious to see what you do with it.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

The marble is standard thickness. I am going to try to cut them to
size and then grind them thinner and work with them from there. I
figured out that the only way I will make it work is to go by trial
and error until I get what I want. When the end is reached I will try
to post some pictures.But no telling when that may be. School is
starting and being a busy mom gets in the way of my play time. Take
care to all who have helped me out!!!
Victoria
Old November 24th 04, 12:08 AM
havana bill & holly

Vicky, Chuck speaks for us all, I think. Grieving is a healing part of
loss, I wish you all the best.
"Victoria R." wrote in message
I lost my sister in May and just started the grieving
process. So as soon as I can get back on track I will post a message
about how its going.
Thanks Again
Vicky

OT - My first Marble Glitzy Glass Beads 9 January 12th 05 05:52 AM
Exclusive Marble Inlay Work - Any takers? [email protected] Carving 0 November 2nd 04 12:53 PM
Marble Tile Chuck Doll Houses 0 August 11th 04 11:29 PM
Gold-plated graphite marble mold! Su/Cutworks Beads 71 July 10th 04 09:52 AM