Where is Celebration of Needlework Fall 2009?

Old October 21st 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Debbie Rice

Default Where is Celebration of Needlework Fall 2009?

(United States) Does anyone know where next year's fall Celebration of
Needlework is being held? This year was my hometown of Louisville but they
were supposed to announce next year's at their closing ceremonies (didn't,
cost me another $10 parking fee to stick around for annoucement); update
their website (haven't); haven't responded to my email asking, and the hotel
shows no 2009 booking (the Marriott was helpful).

For Christmas I always ask for reservations and stuff to attend at least one
needlework show/classes/festival. October this year had eight
budget-busting conflicting events including the Stitching Jubilee smart
enough to offer gift certificates for generous freinds and family (formerly
Stitching Festival formerly CATS formerly Spirit of Cross Stitch) I usually
attend and Celebrations won out by being local to me.

I did thoroughly enjoy Celebration of Needlework, both the classes and a
truly excellent shopper's market. I understood from teachers and vendors
that the location and hotel were great; not sure how the final statistics on
attendance and sales went for them. Not well advertised and even our local
Embroiderer's Guild (whose museum and national headquarters was exactly 1
and 1/2 blocks away of an event with truly lovely weather to lure attendees)
didn't get involved. Their spring event is in New Hampshire, a much more
densely populated area with active EGA branches, spring fever weather, and
existing local shops and a decade plus of regular attendees -- I'm sure our
attendance figures don't compare.

Any information appreciated. I'm planning now because some of my paychecks
are for fiscal year projects (October to October) and I'm deciding what to
hold back for which events and on my Christmas budgeting. Deadline for
registraiton for some of the 2009 classes I might attend is actually
November 20.

Old October 21st 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nyssa

Debbie Rice wrote:

[...]

I was visiting with Catherine Strickler (Indigo Rose),
last week after she returned from Celebrations. From
what she said, I gather that it has not yet been
decided whether there will be a fall Celebrations
next year, Louisville or otherwise.

It puts the designers in a bind since they also
need to plan new projects and teaching pieces well
in advance, and not knowing whether there will
be a venue next year (or when it is decided, how
soon they need to submit class and design
information) means that they'll be putting their
efforts into designs for other places unless
they get the word in plenty of time.

Sorry that wasn't much help, but it's the
straight scoop as we know it right now.

Nyssa
At River's End
http://nyssa.cnc.net

Old October 21st 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Debbie Rice

I know; and October 2008 conflicted with some national guild events as well
as the more commercial events and popular retreats.

Kelly at Celebrations was just in my inbox and she did reply that it wasn't
decided yet. A delayed decision doesn't bold well for our local hotels;
October is almost as bad as the April/May derby season for convention
conflicts.

I had my first class ever with Catherine Strickland at the recent
Celebration of Needlework event and she was a blast. I am actually
completing the class project and was blown away by the work in progress she
had with her (tentatively titled "Acorn Smalls") -- she's not sure what 2009
event the "acorn smalls" will be for yet.

I do know our local shop (now defunct) originally had a hand in persuading
the 2007 Celebrations to come here (and they had to book for 2008 event as
well). Shopowner at market had been told the Mariott right across the
street from our shop would have been booked 2007 and Celebration board
switched to downtown instead without telling us before the booth deposit
(grumble -- and event didn't even include any dowtown activities outside the
show floor). I hope if we are bypassed in 2009 it will be because they want
to be near a local shop, although we still have five within a 2 hour driving
distance (one only 12 miles away from our now defunct Louisville shop) and
several good needlepoint and yarn shops -- none of which, like the national
EGA, participated or even put up fliers.

Good news is if they book for 2009 they will also have to book for 2010.
(boy, remember how faraway 2010 used to seem ... I am hearing the Space
Odyssey theme in background as I write).

They need to advertise a little bigger than all the other vendor ads buried
at the back of publications they disappear into.

Old October 21st 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/21/08 1:25 PM, in article
, "Debbie Rice"
wrote:

[...]

Well, you could come north and visit me and Bobbie and Margaret and Brat
and.....

Cheryl

Old October 22nd 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Debbie Rice

Would love too; but April/May are already completely booked for me!

Old October 22nd 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

While, not for April and May, I know the feeling of being completely
booked....

On 10/22/08 3:50 PM, in article
, "Debbie Rice"

Old October 23rd 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Debbie Rice

Per Silver Needle email letter, they haven't heard either about scheduling
or continuation (is that a word?) of fall show.

*sigh* somehow I doubt that's because the dozens all scheduling in same
couple of week (EGA, Stitching Jubilee, Tour de Stitch, ...) are trying to
cooperate to help with scheduling conflicts of potential
vendors/teachers/exhibitors. I do know about hotel/convention booking
schedules, but golly gee this year was really bad about conflicts.

February in Williamsburg is starting to look good although I usually only
travel in the nastier winter months to someplace with a beach and 70 degree
F and above weather (I do miss the great state of Virginia but not in
February and probable icy weather/winds). Sort of driving distance for me
with lots of relatives en route -- but then again the airline tickets to VA
in February hover around the $100 round trip mark ...

Still holding out for news; I really did enjoy Celebration. Although it
was at the worst possible budget time, this year I can plan better for.