A family quilt exhibit ... long

Old August 23rd 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default A family quilt exhibit ... long

Last week we had a family funeral here
where we live. Everyone else is out of
state now, so there were lots of
relatives staying in our home, or in
hotels. Either way, our house was the
'Central Point.' One of the Cousins in
Oregon makes quilts. She did not come,
but her DM & Sis were here. They like
quilts and wanted to see my work. I
thought she was just being polite, but
she mentioned it again, late in the day
of the burial. So, I got out a few small
ones and showed those. They were mostly
Holiday WH or Challenge WH. I gave one
of the small Santa WH to Cousin. She was
pleased. I hope we can visit them in the
Summer some time, so we can all go to
Sisters Show together. DH encouraged me
to ... 'get the big ones out of that
cabinet too.' He likes to joke about my
Stash and UFOs, but likes to 'show' my
work too. G So, I dragged those out of
the cabinet ... the glass one that is
made by Kerry's Creations in Texas.
(NAYY, but I love that case.) One is my
Cyber Trip Around the World Nap Quilt.
It contains about 50 signatures I
collected about 2000 in a RCTQ signature
swap. They were amazed to see some from
Australia, from Marissa signing from
Uruguay, from Tutu I think, and many
other countries, awa numerous States.
Cool way cool. Also a pleasant way to
conclude a trying day. TTFN, PAT in VA/USA
Old August 24th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise Jameson

You're right Pat, nice way to end a trying day.
Sorry about your loss, and it's lovely to know how soothing quilts can
be.

Denise in Ontario, Canada

Old August 24th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

That surely made everyone feel alive and full of hope again! Nothing like a
good quilt.
My little quilt group here recently lost one of its founding members, a
wonderful lady we all loved. We went to her funeral as a group, threw a
block with all our names on it into the grave, and had a good cry. Then back
in the parking lot, pulled out a group project. I brought it along after
machine quilting, and thought to put it in somebody else's trunk, since we
live about 1.5 hours' drive apart, so the others could stitch down the
binding. Of course they all had to see how the quilting turned out, and
pretty soon we had a big group gathered from the other funeral guests! We
pointed out all the blocks our departed friend made, had another good cry,
and felt much better!
Roberta in D