OT - Making curtains - need help

Old October 20th 05, 10:53 PM
extremevalues

Default OT - Making curtains - need help

I am making my first real set of curtains.

Can you tell me what are the advantages/disadvantages to lining them?

Also, should I prewash the fabric prior to making them, or just make
them a couple inches longer than I want them to be to make up for any
shrinkage that may occur later when washing? The length could be plus
or minus several inches and not matter, because I am making them longer
than windows but not to the floor. I am lazy and would prefer not to
have to iron all of that yardage, besides, I'd never get it as crisp as
it looks now.

Experts out there - you know who you are - give me some advice.
PLEASE!!!

TIA!
Carol in TX
need therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 20th 05, 11:06 PM
Kate G.

Lining does a couple of things... makes them look nicer from outside... if
the window is where it would be seen. The other is that it offers some
fading protection... the lining will absorb the bulk of the rays -- slowing
down the fading of the drapes themselves.

Kate in MI
(who just made a lined valance for DS#3's bedroom this week! I agree,
unlined would have been much easier!)

ups.com...

Old October 20th 05, 11:09 PM
Kate Dicey

extremevalues wrote:

I am making my first real set of curtains.

Can you tell me what are the advantages/disadvantages to lining them?

Cost: it's cheaper to line than turn the heating up in the winter...
Environment: better to line than burn more energy keeping the place warm!
Light: it can stay darker so you sleep better in the early morning in summer
Looks: lined curtains usually look better than unlined.

Also, should I prewash the fabric prior to making them, or just make
them a couple inches longer than I want them to be to make up for any
shrinkage that may occur later when washing? The length could be plus
or minus several inches and not matter, because I am making them longer
than windows but not to the floor. I am lazy and would prefer not to
have to iron all of that yardage, besides, I'd never get it as crisp as
it looks now.

You'll have to iron/press it all anyway when you've made them, you know...

Prewash everything if you plan to wash the curtains! You can always
take it to the dry cleaners for pressing. Curtain fabric is notorious
for uneven shrinkage once made up... Be aware that some curtain fabrics
and some finishes are DRY CLEAN ONLY.

Experts out there - you know who you are - give me some advice.
PLEASE!!!

Hope this helps. I've made a fair few pairs in my lifetime, and this
comes from both my personal experience and from that of Auntie Mo Next
Door who has run a bespoke curtain shop for more than 10 years.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 21st 05, 02:02 AM
Alice M. Bonnell

Not 10 minutes ago, I finished hand hemming two pair of drapes which I made
for my living room. The room has a very high ceiling and VERY high windows
(one set above another). The drapes were about 16 feet long! I did line
them for the same reasons others mentioned...they look much better from the
outside, they have a lot more body, and they do provide a lot more
insulation - from both heat and cold. They were so long, I hemmed them as
they hung from the rods...pulled the ironing board up close, pinned, pressed
and stitched! Now to enjoy them! PS. If I had used washable fabric, I
definitely would prewash it.

Old October 21st 05, 03:12 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I line mine with the washable black out fabric that I buy in bulk at
Hancocks on line. It acts as insulation even though I have the energy
efficient double pane windows.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old October 21st 05, 03:44 PM
Susan Torrens

I used to make draperies professionally.
If you are using decorator fabric, even the cottons are dry clean only. If
it is glazed, the glazing will wash away.
I agree that "curtains" is a really broad term.
I always made lined draperies for fading, insulation, and that they just
hang better.
A friend had me make curtains for her bedroom window about 15 years ago.
When they were dry cleaned this year, the curtain fabric is fine, but the
sun had rotted the lining, so we will be adding a new lining to the
curtains.
Hope this helps.

--
Susan in Kingston ON
quilting - what else?

Old October 22nd 05, 04:34 AM
DrQuilter

you didn't read my recent thread, I see.. wash fabric first!!!

Kate G. wrote:

Lining does a couple of things... makes them look nicer from outside... if
the window is where it would be seen. The other is that it offers some
fading protection... the lining will absorb the bulk of the rays -- slowing
down the fading of the drapes themselves.

Kate in MI
(who just made a lined valance for DS#3's bedroom this week! I agree,
unlined would have been much easier!)

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old October 26th 05, 04:37 AM
extremevalues

Oh, these are going to hang in my kitchen, so they don't need to be
room darkening by any means, but they will be used as a weather shield.
My kitchen is extra hot in the morning through lunch time. This is
the South east side of the house.

I am trying to eliminate all of the blinds in the house and replace
them with curtains that can be washed. My kiddos have allergies, and I
am trying to help get rid of any extra dust catchers.

I am putting up a sheer curtain for privacy, and the outer curtain for
shade purposes.

I guess I answered my own question about washing. I should prewash
since I plan to wash them. i can always cut the first one a little
extra long, and see what happens.

This fabric is like a cotton duck with a print.

Carol in TX
Need therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 26th 05, 09:44 AM
Sally Swindells

You can get linings with one side coated in a substance that is
insulationy and stops the passage of heat. Still washable.

I have an east facing kitchen with blinds coated in the same
substance. It makes a significant difference (when we moved in there
were no curtains/blinds and the room was like an oven!)
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~