Question for everyone

Old February 29th 04, 06:59 PM
alex

Default Question for everyone

Most of you already know the types of beads we create
I have been playing around with sculptural beads and since I really do not
have a signature bead I may introduce a small animal collection, yeah I know
its been done many times before but I feel my animals are unique and have
there own personality.

My question, is there a big market for sculptures? (not looking for big
money)
if you like the sculpture bead would rather buy it separately or in a set
with nice complementary beads
and would you enjoy the story behind the character ( catchy name, silly
clothes, how he came to be)

Personally I enjoy looking at sculpture beads and may start collecting them,
animals, dolls, food type
I enjoy making Lampwork sets, But I feel the need to expand

--
Alex
http://www.jaychantell.com

Old February 29th 04, 07:15 PM
starlia

I love sculptural beads and I buy quite a few by themselves. Amy Caswell is
one of my favorites, but I didn't win Nacho yesterday. :-(

I think when making a sculptural it's better to include complimentary beads.
I sold a wonderful bead the other day and had the buyer contact me to make a
set of beads to match the sculpture. She asked for another 20+ beads and I
was glad to do that. I get better results on auctions when I have matching
beads with the sculptures as well.

Either way, have fun and do what you want. There are no limits in hot
glass.

Starlia

Old February 29th 04, 08:48 PM
Arondelle

alex wrote:
My question, is there a big market for sculptures? (not looking for
big money) if you like the sculpture bead would rather buy it
separately or in a set with nice complementary beads and would you
enjoy the story behind the character ( catchy name, silly clothes,
how he came to be)

I wouldn't know about a general market, but *I* like 'em. I have a
handful already. At some point I'm going to construct a beaded "tree"
to hang them on; most of them are too delicate (in my mind) to wear as
jewelry. That being so, I'd rather have them alone, rather than in a
set. Other people's mileage may vary, of course.

I'm also a big fan of stories. I'm frequently inspired by an incident
from the past or a memory (like berry-picking schnauzers), and I like to
pass it along to my (would-be) customers. That's what makes handcrafted
beads and jewelry special: you don't get storys with stuff being cranked
out of a factory. )

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net
Shop eBay with me: http://snipurl.com/3usr
Visit Arondelle's Dream Worlds at: http://www.arondelle.com
Read my Blog: http://www.angelfire.com/blog/arondelle/index.html

Old February 29th 04, 09:39 PM
Christina Peterson

I love sculptural beads. Most of mine are of flowers, but I also have
people and animals.

I don't know what your own idea of "animal beads" is, so it's hard to answer
simply. So I'll make it complicated as usual.

I do NOT do cute. At all. Though stylized works well for me. Eg, I love
Jerri's stylized bunnies (BeadBimbo) and Chad's (Art Attacks and Strokes)
spirit animals, but not ones that look like toys or the cartoonish ones by
Amy Caswell. And of course Poppovitch's realistic ones are fabulous. This
is strictly a matter of personal preference, rather than good or bad.

Ever seen the animal paintings of Franz Marc (1930s and 40s?).

This is probably not the norm, since what I hear people oooh and aaah about
are "cute" ones. It would seem to me that the cute ones would do well in a
set, but a stylized or realistic one would function best as a focal. I
might be interested on a pair of coordinating accents, but not more than
that.

So show us your animals.

Tina

Old March 1st 04, 12:06 AM
Debbie B

I like the sculpture beads. I'm watching them and kind of thinking about
collecting them myself. If it talked or sang to me I wouldn't mind having
the complementary beads. But the sculptured bead would go in my shadow box.
So the other beads included would be used in something else.

Would the complementary beads make the price more? Or would it not make it
a difference in your pricing?

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short
"alex" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old March 1st 04, 06:19 PM
Marisa Exter

I personally always am interested in very realistic botanical beads (flowers,
leaves) and realistic (not "cute") animals.

Although sets are nice I usually can't afford them so it would be nice if you
offered singles at least part of the time.

marisa2

alex wrote:

[...]

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Old March 2nd 04, 01:30 AM
alex

Ok, here is the first one
I will put different whimsy animals up weekly and I have decided that I will
make the animals available for purchase separately on our website

http://www.jaychantell.com/acts/dodds.jpg

--
Alex
http://www.jaychantell.com

Old March 2nd 04, 01:44 AM
Beth IA

Great job! Mr Jay Dodds is a work of art. Can't wait to see future
sculptures.
--
Beth
http://workerbead.home.att.net

Old March 3rd 04, 04:54 AM
Kalera Stratton

LOL! He's cute! I love him.

-Kalera

alex wrote:

Ok, here is the first one
I will put different whimsy animals up weekly and I have decided that I will
make the animals available for purchase separately on our website

http://www.jaychantell.com/acts/dodds.jpg

Question on lampwork beads Cheryl Beads 18 February 19th 04 05:07 AM
Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM