Help with dyeing

Old July 8th 03, 07:51 PM
SlinkyToy

Default Help with dyeing

Check out Createx Liquid fiber dye. Easy to use (vinegar+heat is all you
need), non-toxic. You might not get those vibrant tones when you overdye a
beige or off-white wool, however, but it certainly won't hurt to experiment.

http://www.aatriceco.com for the dye I mentioned.

"Lynne in Toronto" wrote in message

Hi, I don't usually post here, I'm over at rctq (quilting) but I could
use your professional advice.

My son brought me some gorgeous wool from New Zealand last year (at my
request) but it is beige (not at my request). I don't DO beige. I
actually was hoping for some gorgeous bright colours like the Rowan
yarns, e.g.

Can you tell me a) how much trouble it is to dye wool, and b) can I get
those rich vibrant colours like the Rowans, and c) will they be
colourfast?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much.

Cheers,
Lynne in Toronto

Old July 8th 03, 09:25 PM
Allaya Diep

Hi Lynne,

I don't do a lot of dyeing, so I would trust everybody else here who does
that gives you information. HOWEVER, when my friend and I dyed for the
first time, there was one thing we were not prepared for, and that was the
immediate area reeking of wet sheep! It was actually kind of funny...we
just didn't know what to do because it was so cold outside and opening the
windows wasn't really a good idea. Our husbands came back, and they
wondered what was grazing in the house!

Anyway, if there was anything we learned from the experience, we learned to
either do it on a warm day with lots of good ventilation, or to just do it
outside, if possible. Maybe this particular dye that Slinky recommended has
soemthing in it to help with the smell, but just in case it doesn't...be
prepared! (Oh, and resist the temptation to stir too often!) LOL

Allaya

"Lynne in Toronto" wrote in message

Hi, I don't usually post here, I'm over at rctq (quilting) but I could
use your professional advice.

My son brought me some gorgeous wool from New Zealand last year (at my
request) but it is beige (not at my request). I don't DO beige. I
actually was hoping for some gorgeous bright colours like the Rowan
yarns, e.g.

Can you tell me a) how much trouble it is to dye wool, and b) can I get
those rich vibrant colours like the Rowans, and c) will they be
colourfast?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much.

Cheers,
Lynne in Toronto

Practical Fabric Shoe Dyeing vintage book [email protected] Marketplace 0 May 15th 04 02:37 AM
Fabric Dyeing Question Mardi Quilting 5 April 27th 04 06:36 PM
Dyeing fabric with tea Julia Altshuler Quilting 5 March 24th 04 05:54 PM
A question of dyeing... Sue Carlson Dunn Yarn 23 July 31st 03 08:11 PM