Can't access site from screen name

Old April 18th 04, 03:15 AM
MadisonsGamma426

Default Can't access site from screen name

Has anyone else ever had a problem with AOLs Parental Control feature blocking
this site. My settings are general but for some reason it blocks it from my
regular screen name. I have talked to AOL until I am blue in the face. I don't
think they can understand my Southern English.
Sylvia in NC
Old April 18th 04, 04:25 AM
Bungadora

Ooooh yes. I phoned AOL twice about this and they gave me the wrong answer both
times. I'm just waiting to see if I get a chance to evaluate the second
condescending little twerp I talked to. Humph. They don't understand Canadian
English either.

However I figured it out for myself.

Access the parental controls page in your 'master' screen name and choose your
screen name so you have the screen that shows all those blue bars with the
little buttons to the right. In the upper right hand corner of that screen,
above the bars, you will see a button 'more options'. That is where the
controls for your newsgroup access are located, and you just deselect all the
little boxes. I deselected the ones that were ticked, and then a second set of
ticked boxes popped up. If there's a button to save, hit it. This function is
independent of whether you have general access or not.

Any questions, feel free to e-mail me.
Good luck.
Dora

(MadisonsGamma426)

Old April 18th 04, 05:06 AM
Olwynmary

Has anyone else ever had a problem with AOLs Parental Control feature blocking
this site. My settings are general but for some reason it blocks it from my

regular screen name. I have talked to AOL until I am blue in the face. I don't
think they can understand my Southern English.

They did it to me on Friday. I went for "live online help". They weren't much
use, but while I was mousing around in the "parental controls" on DH's screen
name I managed to get mine changed back to a second "master" screen name.
Then, of course, as I had been blocked from ALL my favorites for 24 hours, I
sat at this 'ere machine for ages catching up.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old April 18th 04, 05:13 AM
Boohoo1971

Has anyone else ever had a problem with AOLs Parental Control feature
blocking
this site. BRBR
YES!!!!!! I don't know much about the innerds of this computer so when that
happened, I got a friend to check it out. He ran a find program with "parental
control" and brought that screen up and then was able to unblock all the
controls. Because of a couple of things, he thought that AOL might have
accidentally set up the controls to block newsboards. I have an Apple and the
friend just hit the apple key and "f" key and got to that control board. This
was done when it was not on line. Wish I could help you more. Mine was
blocked between late Thursday night and unblocked by the friend Friday
afternoon. Boo
Old April 18th 04, 12:18 PM
Xsfrances

Has anyone else ever had a problem with AOLs Parental Control feature
blocking
this site

YES!!! I called the help line and told Archie I was almost 74 years old and
didn't need any parental controls for crying out loud. The only thing he did
was send me an email that was as useless as tits on a boar hog. Thanks for the
coherent instructions. Frances
Old April 18th 04, 02:44 PM
Cozit/Liz

Apparently a *lot* of folks have been having trouble with most of their
newsgroups recently... AOL must have mucked things up again. (and, yes,
that includes at least two that I know of that were trying from the main
account...)

-Liz (very glad not to rely on AOL...)

Old April 18th 04, 03:34 PM
Jeri

"MadisonsGamma426" wrote in message

Has anyone else ever had a problem with AOLs Parental Control feature
blocking this site. My settings are general but for some reason it
blocks it from my regular screen name. I have talked to AOL until I
am blue in the face. I don't think they can understand my Southern
English.
Sylvia in NC

I don't have AOL but I can tell you it's not your southern English that's
the problem. It's the fact that very few ISPs hire computer savvy people for
their help desks. Or maybe I should say the pay rate doesn't attract many
computer savvy people.

I was having a problem a few weeks ago with Roadrunner. I called the RR help
desk and if it wasn't such an aggravating situation it would have been
laughable.

Me: I'm having a problem with Roadrunner's Usenet news server. It's taking
over an hour for my posts to show up.
Help Desk: You have to call Usenet. We don't have any control over them.
Me: There is no Usenet. Every ISP has it's own Usenet servers and there's
something wrong with Rochester's!
Help Desk: I don't think so but let me ask. put on hold disconnected

2nd call:
Help Desk: Are you running a firewall?
Me: Yes but that has nothing to do with it. I was running the same firewall
yesterday and everything was working fine. I made no changes at all.
Help Desk: Lets turn it off just to make sure.

It went downhill from there and it wasn't pretty. lol
--
Jeri
"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines."

Old April 19th 04, 01:26 AM
Momjws1

This function is
independent of whether you have general access or not.

Thank you so much for your wonderful tutorial on fixing this problem! We were
just getting ready to call the twerps when I googled over to here and read you
advice. Thank you so much!

Jane in WV
Old April 19th 04, 05:13 AM
Bungadora

You're welcome. I was a bit concerned after I posted that it might not work for
everyone, just because the screens might vary slightly with different versions.
I'm glad it worked for you.

Dora

(Momjws1)

Old April 19th 04, 05:18 AM
Bungadora

I'm not so sure it is lack of technical knowledge. I consider it more a lack of
problem solving skills, and attitudinal. For example, when I say I've tried
something they suggest already, I can see them asking detailed questions about
the procedure I went through to make sure I had done it correctly. What I
didn't find useful was being cut short in the middle of a sentence and being
told to just do what he (the technie) had told me to do, even though I told
him it didn't work.
Dora

"Jeri"

[...]

web site suggestion Barbara Otterson Beads 38 March 18th 04 01:54 AM
Bead and jewelry site. Mary Ann Beads 6 October 20th 03 04:11 AM
Apology and New Web Site AD Kandice Seeber Beads 0 September 19th 03 05:47 PM
Change of auction handle/ID and Web Site Name CrystalLuv Beads 6 August 24th 03 05:36 AM