OT - another puzzle piece

Old May 1st 09, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies[_2_]

Default OT - another puzzle piece

Add Celiac Disease to Cushing's Syndrome and Fibromyalgia on the list of
things wrong with me. Apparently it is the cause of the severe outbreak
on my legs this past six weeks driving me crazy. Gluten turned toxic on
me, and being pushed out through the skin because my liver was
overwhelmed. Marching on. The pieces are coming together. I'm exhausted!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
Old May 1st 09, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Good gracious, Karen. Sounds like you're going to have to learn to bake. A
gluten-free diet is doable but probably is going to require some fierce
learning. It seems to me that there are already some quilters here who are
dealing with the gluten challenge. Was it potato flour they were using?
Polly

Old May 1st 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

There is one bonus that I know of to having Coeliac disease: one of the
very few 'safe' cakes is - meringue!
Once you have addressed all these 'horribles' that are coming out of the
closet, which is you, think how marvellous you will feel! Just keep
that in the front of your mind.
..
In message JiCKl.83363$DP1.82447@attbi_s22, "Karen, Queen of
Squishies" writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 1st 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

In 2000, I literally turned into a bright red itchy strawberry-
coloured person - I was unable to sleep because everything itched
(except the soles of my feet and the palms of my hands).....the answer
then, was a medication interaction between 'Naprosyn' and 'Benedryl' -
every time I used my benedryl, the situation became worse.

I had kept a diary of the breakouts and realized that new events were
symmetrical which led my dermatologist to focus on the liver and its
functions.

I often found relieve from the itching/burning by standing under a hot
shower (as hot as I could stand) - I would feel almost normal for
several hours. The coming summer heat and humidity is not something
that I am looking forward to...

I occasionally break out through my arms and scalp - I have just gone
through an almost 6month session which is one reason why I haven't
been sewing/quilting much - the list of food groups that I avoid is
growing - it also helped when I bought two tubs of prescription cream
(one with added coal tar) - the situation has ceased for a week now.
I will slowly re-introduce coloured foods into my diet - nothing RED
though - especially red peppers and sweet potatoes...I am hoping that
orange will still be OK for carrots!

It is no fun and the problems keep on coming ----- now another problem
has just leapt onto my laptop (Sammie-cat has come to tell me that she
is 'sorry' for climbing in places where she can get into trouble!)....
jennellh

=
Old May 1st 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Karen, Maybe if you drink plenty of water it will help flush this out of
your system. Get better soon!
Barbara in SC

Old May 1st 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

I'll second that - a friend was diagnosed w/ gluten sensitivity - she
felt a LOT better once she changed her diet. So you'll be feeling
better soon!

.

Old May 2nd 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

Karen, Queen of Squishies wrote:
Add Celiac Disease to Cushing's Syndrome and Fibromyalgia on the list of
things wrong with me. Apparently it is the cause of the severe outbreak
on my legs this past six weeks driving me crazy. Gluten turned toxic on
me, and being pushed out through the skin because my liver was
overwhelmed. Marching on. The pieces are coming together. I'm exhausted!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Hi Karen,

Sorry to hear you have one more condition to deal with. However, I will
say, it is very possible to prepare delicious food without flour. I do
it, although for a different reason. I'm prediabetic and wheat flour
spikes my blood sugar. Since I'm trying to avoid needing to take
medication, I am diligent about my diet.

If you need help wtih this, try looking at the newsgroup,
alt.support.diabetes. It is a wonderful resource. The people there
have all kinds of alternatives to using flour, and are friendly and
helpful. (There is one resident nutcake, and the people who like to
argue with him on ASD, but if you use your killfile for them, it's a
nice place.) For the few baked goods I still eat, I use almond flour.
It's rather pricey, but I can buy it locally. However, there are other
alternatives available by ordering on the internet.

Best regards,
Michelle in NV
Old May 5th 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kris in Portland, Oregon

On May 1, 5:55*am, "Karen, Queen of Squishies"
wrote:
Add Celiac Disease to Cushing's Syndrome and Fibromyalgia on the list of
things wrong with me. *Apparently it is the cause of the severe outbreak
on my legs this past six weeks driving me crazy. *Gluten turned toxic on
me, and being pushed out through the skin because my liver was
overwhelmed. *Marching on. *The pieces are coming together. *I'm exhausted!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Bob Red Mills has baking products that are gluten free and they have
an online store. I have a girlfriend at work that has to be Gluten
free and Dairy Free. I'll ask her for some cookbook ideas to get you
started.

Take care,

Kris
Old May 6th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kris in Portland, Oregon

wrote:
Add Celiac Disease to Cushing's Syndrome and Fibromyalgia on the list of
things wrong with me. *Apparently it is the cause of the severe outbreak
on my legs this past six weeks driving me crazy. *Gluten turned toxic on
me, and being pushed out through the skin because my liver was
overwhelmed. *Marching on. *The pieces are coming together. *I'm exhausted!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Here I am again as promised with some info from my friend about good
gluten free cook books. She's just sensitive to gluten and has to
avoid it but she certainly has a lot of sympathy for those who are!!
From my friends email to me:

Against the Grain - not a cookbook really, but super-informative!
Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread - She has a whole bunch of cookbooks,
all good. Hagman, Bette
1000 Gluten-free recipes by Fenster, Carol - but really any of her
cookbooks are good
Gluten-Free Vegan
Gluten-Free Girl - by Ahern, Shauna, she has a great blog!
I get lots of stuff at the local library, just search for gluten-free.

Can find lots of online resources, for food, company and info, just
type in the usual terms in the search fields, Gluten-Free.

I hope this helps.

Kris
Old May 6th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

Elizabeth Hasselbach from The View has just published a book about being
gluten free. She suffered from it for years before she was diagnosed.
Maybe this book could help.

Denise

OT another puzzle Dee in Oz Quilting 54 May 23rd 07 07:07 AM
OT -- new puzzle... Kate G. Quilting 2 December 27th 05 12:57 AM
OT but hey its a puzzle like quilting can be a puzzle. nzlstar* Quilting 85 November 28th 05 11:45 AM
Spoilers OT but hey its a puzzle like quilting can be a puzzle. D Curtis Quilting 0 November 23rd 05 01:43 PM
It's a puzzle DDM Quilting 1 February 27th 05 12:22 AM