World wide knitting day

Old June 13th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

Default World wide knitting day

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:01:17 +0100, Y wrote:

UK magazine here is the link
http://www.wsd.org.uk/journal.htm

higz cher

That was a fascinating read - thank you Cher. As I don't spin or weave it
was no wonder I was lost though, lol. :-)
--
Bernadette
Old June 14th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jun 14, 12:01*am, "Y" wrote:
UK magazine here is the linkhttp://www.wsd.org.uk/journal.htm

higz cher

Thank you Cher !!! lovely Journal
mirjam
Old June 14th 08, 08:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y[_2_]

You're welcome higz Cher

Old June 14th 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 08:21:26 +0100, Y wrote:

So us weavers spinners and dyers can't temp you then????

lol higz Cher

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:01:17 +0100, Y wrote:

UK magazine here is the link
http://www.wsd.org.uk/journal.htm

higz cher

That was a fascinating read - thank you Cher. As I don't spin or weave
it was no wonder I was lost though, lol. :-) --
Bernadette

I think I'll stick with the "ready made" option for wool thank you Cher.
Probably do the same for dress materials too, lol. Anything for an easier
life. :-)
--
Bernadette

Old June 15th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Bernadette wrote:

I think I'll stick with the "ready made" option for wool thank you Cher.
Probably do the same for dress materials too, lol. Anything for an easier
life. :-)

I jokingly refer to myself as a "secondary fiber artist" at Guild
meetings. I never mastered a drop spindle, have done basic weaving but
do not find it that interesting, so probably wouldn't do it unless there
was something I couldn't find ready woven. OTOH, there are some members
of our Guild who have lengths of handwoven cloth which are just that -
lengths of cloth. Likewise, there are spinners who have hanks of
handspun yarn lying around, and when I ask what they are to be used for
I receive blank stares. Being an intensely practical soul, I don't
consider lengths of fabric or hanks of yarn to be finished products. To
me, they are waiting to be turned into somethig which is BOTH beautiful
and useful. When I remarked on this at a meeting once, one of the
spinners loftily replied that SHE is "process-oriented", and I must be
"product-oriented." Well, yes. I can't see doing all that spinning or
weaving unless I got something wearable or usable out of it.

Must get back to my sewing machine - just finished putting a band of
sequins all around the edge of a wool gauze shawl to dress it up a bit,
and I have some storebought lengths of 95% rayon 5% lycra knit waiting
to be made into short sleeve tops.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old June 15th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
Bernadette wrote:

I think I'll stick with the "ready made" option for wool thank you Cher.
Probably do the same for dress materials too, lol. Anything for an easier
life. :-)

I jokingly refer to myself as a "secondary fiber artist" at Guild
meetings. I never mastered a drop spindle, have done basic weaving but do
not find it that interesting, so probably wouldn't do it unless there was
something I couldn't find ready woven.

I couldn't agree more. I can spin with a drop spindle - or a wheel - but it
doesn't do anything for me, likewise weaving. Throwing pots is another skill
which people say is 'satisfying'. Well it's not to everyone.

OTOH, there are some members of our Guild who have lengths of handwoven
cloth which are just that - lengths of cloth. Likewise, there are
spinners who have hanks of handspun yarn lying around, and when I ask what
they are to be used for I receive blank stares. Being an intensely
practical soul, I don't consider lengths of fabric or hanks of yarn to be
finished products.

Hurrah!

To me, they are waiting to be turned into somethig which is BOTH
beautiful and useful. When I remarked on this at a meeting once, one of
the spinners loftily replied that SHE is "process-oriented", and I must be
"product-oriented." Well, yes. I can't see doing all that spinning or
weaving unless I got something wearable or usable out of it.

I hope you replied just as loftily!

I was given a beautiful small length of weaving the wool of which had been
grown, spun and dyed by the weaver. There were at least two subtle Earth
colours and it was a herringbone pattern. The maker, a Faroese Viking I met
in Iceland, wanted me to have it and it would have been churlish to refuse
and it is very beautiful - but too small for anything. It's used as a small
shawl for dark age grandchildren when it's nippy but when I run out of
grandchildren it will just sit in the chest. Waiting for great grandchildren
I suppose :-)

Must get back to my sewing machine - just finished putting a band of
sequins all around the edge of a wool gauze shawl to dress it up a bit,
and I have some storebought lengths of 95% rayon 5% lycra knit waiting to
be made into short sleeve tops.

Can you attach sequins with a machine???

I had no idea!

Mary

Old June 15th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Can you attach sequins with a machine???

I had no idea!

Mary

You really need to get out of the house more! Sequins nowadays come all
joined up in long strips, and you attach them by machine using a big,
tough needle and your longest stitch. I put these on using a size #16
needle and the roller foot on my machine, and going VERY slowly. I had
this hunk of off-white wool gauze, 54" x 54" which I wanted to dress up
for use as a shawl, which meant attaching slightly more than six yards
of edging (allowing for mitering the corners, that is.) A lot faster
than doing it by hand. p.s. sequins also come in ready-made decorative
motifs, if you like that kind of thing.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old June 15th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Can you attach sequins with a machine???

I had no idea!

Mary

You really need to get out of the house more! Sequins nowadays come all
joined up in long strips, and you attach them by machine using a big,
tough needle and your longest stitch. I put these on using a size #16
needle and the roller foot on my machine, and going VERY slowly. I had
this hunk of off-white wool gauze, 54" x 54" which I wanted to dress up
for use as a shawl, which meant attaching slightly more than six yards of
edging (allowing for mitering the corners, that is.) A lot faster than
doing it by hand. p.s. sequins also come in ready-made decorative motifs,
if you like that kind of thing.

I'm impressed :-)

I don't use the sewing machine, all my sewing is done by hand. Spouse does
the machine sewing in this house and he has little use for sequins :-)

Mary

World wide air ticket 50% discount! A Glass 0 June 3rd 04 01:10 AM
World wide air ticket 50% discount! A Marketplace 0 June 3rd 04 01:10 AM
World WIde Quilt Show Sharon Harper Quilting 4 May 17th 04 01:03 AM
World Wide Quilt Show Jeri Quilting 0 May 8th 04 06:38 PM
The most precious Hug in the whole wide world..and its mine! jennell H Quilting 7 April 18th 04 01:20 PM