Some great chain tutorials

Old February 28th 04, 06:36 AM
alex

OK this what I found for the tool needed to make jump rings, if this doesn't
help I guess I can look for my receipt

Koil Kutter
A device to easily and safely cut coils into rings. The device attaches to
any 1 in. (25.4 mm) diameter flexshaft handpiece, e.g. # 30 Foredom or motor
tool, e.g. Dremel, Ryobi etc. The device consists of an arbor with
replaceable cutter blade, cutter guide/sheild, coil holder, wrench and
installation gage.

He sells it for $69.95 (+$3.50 Shipping/Handling in the US) and it includes
all that is mentioned above (flex shaft or motor tool not included). Dr.
Arens asked me to stress that this tool works for NON-FERROUS MATERIALS
ONLY. If you try to cut steel or other iron based materials, the blade will
loose its temper and stop cutting. I can personally say that it works very
well on brass and copper, though cutting aluminum with this setup caused a
few problems for me when I tried it about a year ago. You can order one from
him by emailing him at . He happily accepts Visa,
Mastercard, Discover, and Paypal, as well as checks and money orders, though
orders paid by check do not ship until the check clears (about 10 days).

--
Alex
http://www.jaychantell.com
"Siamese Cat (aka Beguile)" wrote in message
Thanks for the link. I'm finding it rather fascinating. I'm curious now
as to what tools are required to make the links, and costs (cause of

course
I have to stagger my purchases with other things, like bills)

"alex" wrote in

I have made bracelets from some of these tutorials they are easy to
follow and you will be surprised at the results.
I also want to add that if you plan on making chain bracelets or
necklaces all of the time you should make you own links they are easy
to make and much cheaper than purchasing them. just ask and I'll let
you know what you need and how to do it

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~cweisige/inst.html

Old February 28th 04, 05:21 PM
Lynda

It actually runs for $89.00 now, and doesn't include the mandrels to wrap
your wire. That's an additional $45.00.
Dave is ABSOLUETELY wonderful to do business with, the down side is
replacement parts are going to cost you a bunch.

I manufacture rings. and I go through a lot of parts.... the "normal"
person probably wont.

I'm in the process of creating a similar tool that will use all drummel
parts, so that you can go purchase them when they possibly wear down;
however, would HIGHLY reccomend the Koil Kutter, and shopping with Dave.
He's good people!

--
Hugs,
Lynda

Old February 28th 04, 06:07 PM
lgreene

I've had the koil kutter for a couple of years, have cut 10's of thousands
of rings, have never had a problem with any parts, and have started
monitoring my blade...i use plain old Dawn as my lubricant, and get
thousands of rings cut...i know others say they don't, so on one of my
groups, i am doing an experiement to see how many i get out of one blade.

interesting to hear about the new price..i received Dave's literature on
Thursday to pass on to someone, and the price is still 69.95 ... hmmm.

will be interested in seeing what you "come up with" for the dremel.

lg

Old February 28th 04, 06:50 PM
alex

The lubricate we use is called BUR LIFE 117-003 we bought ours from Rio
Grande
We only got 6 months out of our first blade (but didn't use a lubricant) our
second blade still going strong

BTW we use dremel brand motor tool, I would not recommend the cordless for
this but you probably can use an off brand dremel type tool also
I would suggest looking at harbor freight

--
Alex
http://www.jaychantell.com

Old February 29th 04, 06:29 PM
lgreene

I've used the dremel for years. I tried "lubricant" and found that the Dawn
works better than anything. I use it for tumbling, also. I usually just
need to polish, rather than debur, so this way, my Dawn does double duty.
(I've heard that you can use Dawn for washing dishes? Hmmm, might have to
try doing the dishes some time...or not LOL!)

I'm eager to hear about Lynda's new toy!!!
Lynda, if you need a product tester, feel free to drop me a line!!!

lg

Old March 1st 04, 02:51 PM
Stef

In article ,
lgreene wrote:

I've used the dremel for years. I tried "lubricant" and found that the Dawn
works better than anything. I use it for tumbling, also. I usually just
need to polish, rather than debur, so this way, my Dawn does double duty.
(I've heard that you can use Dawn for washing dishes? Hmmm, might have to
try doing the dishes some time...or not LOL!)

Note: Do not tumble dishes.

:-)

--
Stef ** avid/sensible/sensual/wise/essential/elemental/tangle
** * http://www.cat-and-dragon.com/stef
Old March 1st 04, 09:38 PM
lgreene

"Stef" wrote in message
In article ,
lgreene wrote:

I've used the dremel for years. I tried "lubricant" and found that the

Dawn
works better than anything. I use it for tumbling, also. I usually just
need to polish, rather than debur, so this way, my Dawn does double duty.
(I've heard that you can use Dawn for washing dishes? Hmmm, might have

try doing the dishes some time...or not LOL!)

Note: Do not tumble dishes.

:-)

--

truly, L'ing OL!!!