A "Q" for Knitters - in regards to wooden/bamboo Needles

Old August 8th 03, 02:09 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Default A "Q" for Knitters - in regards to wooden/bamboo Needles

I've recently stumbled across an interchangeable system from Plymouth
Yarns, called the "Bamboo Sister", and wondered if any of our elite
have it, and what they think of it.
It's pricey, but wondering if the cost is worth it. Most places have
it priced about $99, going up to $104; the 'cheapest' I found was
$94.
Also, Yarn.com has an interchangeable bamboo system that's about $20
less than the other one. (Listed at $79).
Thanks in advance,
Noreen

Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)

http://www.myegroups.com
Group Code:
3258C1
Picot Page

Group Code:
32B6E6
Needles, Hooks, Shuttles and Bobbins

Old August 8th 03, 03:13 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 08:09:23 -0500, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

I've recently stumbled across an interchangeable system from Plymouth
Yarns, called the "Bamboo Sister", and wondered if any of our elite
have it, and what they think of it.
It's pricey, but wondering if the cost is worth it. Most places have
it priced about $99, going up to $104; the 'cheapest' I found was
$94.
Also, Yarn.com has an interchangeable bamboo system that's about $20
less than the other one. (Listed at $79).
Thanks in advance,
Noreen

Okay, did you ask this more than once or did I just leave it marked unread
until I could think of a nice way to say I hate bamboo needles?

Well, I decided to settle for just being honest. Bamboo is fine for
chopsticks but I despise it for knitting needles. The finish got sticky in
my hands and one brand even pulled up long splinters as the stitches passed
across the needle. It's only by purest luck I didn't get bamboo splinters
under my nails. The so-called permanent join on the circular wasn't and was
annoyingly lumpy at that. I had one set each of straight, DPN and circular;
each a different brand, Clover, Takumi and Crystal Palace, and hated them
all. Never, never, never again!

I do know people who love them. Maybe they found ones with a better-sealing
finish on them, but I'm not willing to risk torture by trying them again.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old August 8th 03, 05:04 PM
The Other Kim

[...]

I've never had any problems with bamboo needles, and I use them
exclusively. I mostly use Clover and Plymouth and prefer Plymouth.
Never had any of the problems you've experienced. The bamboo gives me
better control of the stitches, and I've never had any snags or problems
with the joins.

OTOH, many years ago I bought myself a Boye Needlemaster set and was
disappointed. The needles just wouldn't stay joined to the cables no
matter how tightly I put them together. I'm very reluctant to try an
interchangable needle set again for that reason.

The Other Kim
(email: Lady_Kimmer at altcastlenet dot com)

Old August 8th 03, 10:57 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:13:33 -0500, Helen \"Halla\"Fleischer wrote:
Okay, did you ask this more than once or did I just leave it marked
unread
until I could think of a nice way to say I hate bamboo needles?

Yes, Helen, LOL, I did ask before, but added an addendum to it as I
also located another brand that was a little less pricey.
LOL on your hating bamboo... how do you feel about rosewood or birch?

Well, I decided to settle for just being honest. Bamboo is fine for
chopsticks but I despise it for knitting needles. The finish got
sticky in
my hands and one brand even pulled up long splinters as the
stitches passed
across the needle. It's only by purest luck I didn't get bamboo
splinters
under my nails. The so-called permanent join on the circular wasn't
and was
annoyingly lumpy at that. I had one set each of straight, DPN and
circular;
each a different brand, Clover, Takumi and Crystal Palace, and
hated them
all. Never, never, never again!

I appreciate your input! We've discussed some of this off-list,
Thanks,
Noreen

I do know people who love them. Maybe they found ones with a better-
sealing
finish on them, but I'm not willing to risk torture by trying them
again.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Noreen's Knit*che
(Knitting, Crocheting, Tatting & BobbinLace are my NICHE in life...)

Old August 8th 03, 11:58 PM
Katherine Burgess

Can't answer you on that one, Noreen, but I am sure that some of our other
knitters here will be able to. For that price, they SHOULD be good! g
Katherine

Old August 9th 03, 03:04 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 16:57:26 -0500, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

Yes, Helen, LOL, I did ask before, but added an addendum to it as I
also located another brand that was a little less pricey.
LOL on your hating bamboo... how do you feel about rosewood or birch?

Love them, so long as they're not too thin. When it gets down to sock
needle sizes, I stick with metal, rather than having to constantly replace
snapped needles, Sitting on knitting bags is hard on needles. When it
comes to the larger sizes in birch I make my own from dowels. Then I know
the finish on them is one that won't get sticky in Maryland humidity, not
to mention my humid hands.

Old August 9th 03, 05:00 PM
spampot

Helen \"Halla\" Fleischer wrote:
| On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 08:09:23 -0500, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

I've recently stumbled across an interchangeable system from Plymouth
Yarns, called the "Bamboo Sister", and wondered if any of our elite
have it, and what they think of it.
It's pricey, but wondering if the cost is worth it. Most places have
it priced about $99, going up to $104; the 'cheapest' I found was
$94.
Also, Yarn.com has an interchangeable bamboo system that's about $20
less than the other one. (Listed at $79).
Thanks in advance,
Noreen

Okay, did you ask this more than once or did I just leave it marked unread
until I could think of a nice way to say I hate bamboo needles?

Well, I decided to settle for just being honest. Bamboo is fine for
chopsticks but I despise it for knitting needles. The finish got sticky in
my hands and one brand even pulled up long splinters as the stitches passed
across the needle. It's only by purest luck I didn't get bamboo splinters
under my nails. The so-called permanent join on the circular wasn't and was
annoyingly lumpy at that. I had one set each of straight, DPN and circular;
each a different brand, Clover, Takumi and Crystal Palace, and hated them
all. Never, never, never again!

I do know people who love them. Maybe they found ones with a better-sealing
finish on them, but I'm not willing to risk torture by trying them again.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

I haven't had trouble with the finish, but the ends definitely need
polishing after each use, and what's most annoying is that the
stamped/inked/engraved/whatever size marking wore off each needle the
first time I used it! Very annoying.

Old August 9th 03, 09:05 PM
Aud

On my way home from vacation yesterday, I stopped at a yarn factory,
AND... bouoght my first bamboo needles! :-}
As I had bought some yarns for socks, I got dp needles..and, Halla: THIN!!
!-))
The first message I happen to read from RCTY,(from the first 2000(!)
that came down to my screen) was this, !!LOL!!(Nothing is accidental....)
Well, well, I see what you mean, but now I will give it a try,
and if something goes wrong, I will tell you!aad I have ALL my old metals.
And if everything goes OK: My needles are INOX .

By the way.. what do you pay for bamboo needles?
The price in Norway for a set dp needles is about 10 USD.
AUD ;-))

--

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" skrev i melding