OT taxes questions - any experts?

Old March 16th 04, 09:49 AM
Bonnie Patterson

Could be American Samoa ???

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:45:37 -0800, "Dr. Quilter"
wrote:

Puerto Rico and.... ??? Not really a state, but....
unless they are being facetious and they meant Afghanistan and Irak?

Bonnie Patterson wrote:

52 states ????

Old March 16th 04, 02:13 PM
MJ

"Tracey" wrote in message .com...
"Heather" wrote in message
I think she means that on the W-4 withholding form you can claim single,

but
on your actual taxes at the end of the year you have to claim married if

you
are.

You don't have to file as Married if you don't want to. YOu can file
together as 'married', or you can file as Married filing separately, but
usually you are better off (Pay less in taxes) if you file together. To be
sure, run the numbers each way and file however it comes cheaper for you.

You also have to run the numbers for your state taxes as you have to
file the same status with both fed and state. Sometimes you can save
a little on the feds by filing "married, filing single" and end up
with big tax bill from state. Also there are some credits and limits
that are different. It is very rare for MFS to save money. Usually it
is only used when there is a nasty divorce in the works.

Midge
Old March 16th 04, 07:02 PM
Dr. Quilter

thanks for your advice. everything you guys said is being seriously
considered. I looked into the IRA, trying to figure out the max we can
each contribute and how much that would change the taxes.

but I don't think the taxes went down.... the only change is that my
salary is increased automatically every year as per the NIH guidelines
according to my experience (have to request it from my advisor or his
secretary but it usually goes through no problem, haven't done it this
year yet, got distracted with the baby and all) but it is not very much...

MJ wrote:

I always found it interesting that everyone focuses on how much their
refund or tax bill is, and not nearly as much on how much tax they are
actually paying. For those whose situations have not changed from last
year to this year -- didn't get maried, have a baby, buy a house, get
a huge raise, have a kid finally graduate from college and go off the
family dole, etc. -- the actual amount of tax should go down.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old March 16th 04, 08:09 PM
Dr. Quilter

I know, they voted a while ago, uh? my dad wants my home country to
become an US state.... )

Sally wrote:

Outside continental US only Alaska and Hawaii. American Samoa and
Puerto Rico not states and do not wish to be.

Old March 16th 04, 08:13 PM
Dr. Quilter

not Mr. Q, Dr. Q. Anway, I can take your advice in 30 years maybe.... I
did read the booklet(s), but man they are wordy and complicated, no
wonder people pay to have their taxes done.

btw, i labelled OT so if it bothers you ignore the thread! i know there
are people that know about everything in this ng so I tend to use it as
my info resource for subjects other than quilting.. some of us don't mind.

Sally wrote:

Gee Whiz Mr. Q - read sir the whole 1040 booklet. If you don't
understand look it up on line and send for the proper booklet to help
make a light. If you are as I am over the age of 65 - and there is an
AARP tax person around - get them to do the taxes for you - for free!
I do know if you fill out a 1040 as opposed to 1040A, you have to
claim last years refund as income. (state and federal)! If you file
for an extension, you still have to send in a questimate payment on or
before 15 April and then get at doing the form. If they don't like
it, they will return it telling you about your mistake. AARP caught my
mistake and I got more money back on my state tax.

Old March 21st 04, 05:36 AM
K. Reece

"Sally" wrote in message
om...

I do know if you fill out a 1040 as opposed to 1040A, you have to
claim last years refund as income. (state and federal)!

This is wrong. You only have to claim last years state income tax refund as
federal income if you itemized your deductions last year. You have already
paid both state and federal income taxes on any federal tax refund. You
don't pay federal taxes on the taxes you pay to the state and that's why
it's federal income if you get a refund. Itemized deductions aren't the
only reason someone might be required to use a 1040 instead of a 1040A.

Kathy in Kansas, tired of tax season

very OT and long: Tax Breaks C Cordell Needlework 59 October 20th 04 04:25 PM
Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
The ten questions I want you to answer Jalynne Beads 19 June 22nd 04 08:58 PM
Some additional questions Steve Lamb Beads 15 April 3rd 04 03:25 PM