OT taxes questions - any experts?

Old March 15th 04, 10:18 PM
Bonnie Patterson

Even when I was married, I had the money taken out of my pay as though
I was single with no dependents. The withholding is different, and we
never had to worry about that nasty little surprise --you owe--
I'd rather have a little coming back. A lot of people will tell you
different, as "why let the government use your money and not pay any
interest?" Personally it was worth it.

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:19:43 -0800, "Mary in Oregon"
wrote:

I would go to the payroll dept and ask them to go over withholdings with
you.

Old March 15th 04, 10:23 PM
Bonnie Patterson

TurboTax is your friend, I have used it for over 10 years.

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:28:46 GMT, "Deb in AR"
wrote:

I know from experience that claiming "married" on your W2 does mean less
taxes taken out than claiming "single". I don't know why, but that's how it
works. Does that make sense? As far as I know, you don't have to claim
"married" even though you are. DH always claims single even though we're
married & since we have 2 kids we tend to get a chunk back. I knew there
was a good reason we had kids! hahaha

It might not hurt to go to a tax preparer, but I would suggest shopping
around first. Who knows, you might be able to find one who would look at it
cheaper than HR Block? We've used Jackson Hewitt in the past few years, but
after paying $200-something this year I've decided we're getting TurboTax
next year at Wal Mart.

HTH

Old March 15th 04, 11:44 PM
Dr. Quilter

ok, ok, reread the messages... the penalty DOES apply, but I called the
IRS and it is 0.5% (which adds like 7 bucks to my return!) and you don't
have to pay it if you send your payment before April 15th - now I am
exploring the IRA option... do you guys know if the 3000 limit is for
EACH of us or for both combined if we do a joint return???

Dr. Quilter wrote:

wait, you mean that so if I got a refund last year (for the 2002 taxes)
the penalty does not apply? and, another thing, do you know if the 1000
bucks is independent of whether you file jointly or separately? If we
did it separately, each would owe less than 1000....

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old March 15th 04, 11:45 PM
Dr. Quilter

Puerto Rico and.... ??? Not really a state, but....
unless they are being facetious and they meant Afghanistan and Irak?

Bonnie Patterson wrote:

52 states ????

Old March 16th 04, 02:11 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
ok, ok, reread the messages... the penalty DOES apply, but I called the
IRS and it is 0.5% (which adds like 7 bucks to my return!) and you don't
have to pay it if you send your payment before April 15th - now I am
exploring the IRA option... do you guys know if the 3000 limit is for
EACH of us or for both combined if we do a joint return???

It's for each of you. However, that $3000 each can get reduced if you are
participating in an employer sponsored retirement plan *and* make over 60K a
year.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old March 16th 04, 02:56 AM
Taria

Washington DC ?

Dr. Quilter wrote:

Puerto Rico and.... ??? Not really a state, but....
unless they are being facetious and they meant Afghanistan and Irak?

Bonnie Patterson wrote:

52 states ????

Old March 16th 04, 03:32 AM
Sally

"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message ...
Puerto Rico and.... ??? Not really a state, but....
unless they are being facetious and they meant Afghanistan and Irak?

Bonnie Patterson wrote:

52 states ????

Outside continental US only Alaska and Hawaii. American Samoa and
Puerto Rico not states and do not wish to be.
Old March 16th 04, 03:35 AM
Sally

Bonnie Patterson wrote in message . ..
52 states ????

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:07:14 GMT,
(Paul & Suzie Beckwith) wrote:

Wish I could help, but working for the British Inland Revenue our tax
laws are completely different to the American ones - I'm starting to
think that America should be treated as 52 separate countries rather
than one country with 52 states, 'cos each state has its own laws on
what you can and can't do!!

OK, so that statement is rather tongue-in-cheek, and a sweeping
generalisation, but I still remember being in Seattle in 1999, whilst
we were staying with Donna (me Mam...) and visiting a fast food
outlet, asking "how much are those breadsticks?" and being told "2 for
a dollar", so we asked for two and got charged $1.08...

In the UK we have a law that states that the price on the shelf or on
the price ticket is the price you are charged at the till, with no
additions... its a national pastime to watch your purchases being rung
through the checkout like a hawk to ensure that you are not
overcharged - even by 3 pence!

FYI, the UK had Married Couples Allowance, worth approx £40 per month,
that you could claim but you had to be married, they also did away
with it in 2001 except if you were over 65...

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

Unfortunately, the way our government is set up, the federal
government is the big cheese and allows the states to do some things
for themselves. Under them come the country governments which are
like children with their hands out hoping the state will allow them to
do some things for themselves.
Old March 16th 04, 03:43 AM
Sally

Dr. Quilter wrote:

wait, you mean that so if I got a refund last year (for the 2002 taxes)
the penalty does not apply? and, another thing, do you know if the 1000
bucks is independent of whether you file jointly or separately? If we
did it separately, each would owe less than 1000....

Gee Whiz Mr. Q - read sir the whole 1040 booklet. If you don't
understand look it up on line and send for the proper booklet to help
make a light. If you are as I am over the age of 65 - and there is an
AARP tax person around - get them to do the taxes for you - for free!
I do know if you fill out a 1040 as opposed to 1040A, you have to
claim last years refund as income. (state and federal)! If you file
for an extension, you still have to send in a questimate payment on or
before 15 April and then get at doing the form. If they don't like
it, they will return it telling you about your mistake. AARP caught my
mistake and I got more money back on my state tax.

very OT and long: Tax Breaks C Cordell Needlework 59 October 20th 04 04:25 PM
Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
The ten questions I want you to answer Jalynne Beads 19 June 22nd 04 08:58 PM
Some additional questions Steve Lamb Beads 15 April 3rd 04 03:25 PM