LET'S TRY AGAIN-9 REDCLAY IN UK?

Old August 23rd 03, 11:20 AM
pete

Default LET'S TRY AGAIN-9 REDCLAY IN UK?

Hi Anybody
I'm trying to source red clays that will fire to 1270/1280 that are
accessible within a reasonable distance from London. Found 'keupers red'
but need to go a little higher for my glazes and porosity considerations.
thanks
pete
Old August 25th 03, 10:09 AM
Pierre Brayford

Hi pete

I have tried mixing Keupers red in with othe stoneware clays and it fire OK
to cone 10 in reduction.
All depends on how red you want the red to be!

I have just been updating the link section of http://www.ukpotters.co.uk
which only lists UK websites (with a few exceptions)
Several suppliers are listed but don't know about your area.

If you want to try a clay Potclays or Valentines (maybe others) will send
you 1Kg samples of any of their clays (free).

Good luck
Pierre Brayford

Old August 25th 03, 10:54 PM
Martin Smith

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:20:03 +0100, pete wrote:
Hi Anybody
I'm trying to source red clays that will fire to 1270/1280 that are
accessible within a reasonable distance from London. Found 'keupers red'
but need to go a little higher for my glazes and porosity considerations.
thanks
pete

I have taken potterycrafts garden terracotta to 1250 so far and will
be trying it higher at some later date, it goes an interesting
dark brown, but is very coarse

--
Martin Smith