How to Crewel

Old April 6th 04, 02:06 PM
PalmaG72

Default How to Crewel

Is there an online site with instructions - How to Crewel
Old April 6th 04, 04:20 PM
Dawne Peterson

"PalmaG72" wrote
Is there an online site with instructions - How to Crewel

I don't know of a site with crewel instruction--maybe someone else does.
But here are a couple of good sites with directions on a wide variety of
stitches, many of which could be useful in doing crewel work.
Here is Dianne's site (she is a regular poster, and a true expert), which
has a wealth of information
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/herita...titchmenu.html
Another that I have found very useful is Classic Stitches magazine's stitch
glossary
http://www.classicstitches.com/know_...20Glossary&let
=A

I learned to do crewel from a book by Erica Wilson--she wrote extensively
on crewel and her books are very clear.
HTH
Dawne

Old April 6th 04, 07:28 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

A wonderful way to learn crewel by a master of the craft is to go to:
http://www.berlinembroidery.com
and to order one of the kits - from beginner to advanced, from
traditional Jacobean to modern crewel. Tonja Berlin will give free
critiques if you purchase one of her kits. Rather like having a teacher
at your side.

Crewel embroidery is simply doing a surface embroidery with crewel wool
as opposed to embroidery floss in cottons or silks. Almost any pattern
suitable for surface embroidery can be worked in crewel wool.

Most of the time, we think of crewel embroidery as a "style" from the
drawings of the late 1600's and 1700's. The distinctive style of this
period lends itself to a lot of filling stitches. But it must be
remembered that often these same works of art were also worked in other
stitches, including gold and silver.

A thorough book on the subject is "The Royal School of Needlework -
Embroidery Techniques" which can be found he
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...178274-5517526

Hope this helps.
Dianne

"PalmaG72" wrote

Old April 6th 04, 09:07 PM
crewelwoman

My very favorite book about crewel is "Crewel Embroidery" by Audrey
Francini. It is often available through used book outlets. It is
clearly written and has excellent drawings and designs. I actually wore
out my first copy and had to get another.

Crewelwoman

"PalmaG72" wrote

Old April 6th 04, 09:22 PM
Linda Wright

(PalmaG72) wrote in message ...
Is there an online site with instructions - How to Crewel

Have you tried Classicstitches.com?
Old April 6th 04, 09:42 PM
BDS2pds

I agree with this one:
I have one and it is very worn.
My very favorite book about crewel is "Crewel Embroidery" by Audrey
Francini. It is often available through used book outlets. It is
clearly written and has excellent drawings and designs. I actually wore
out my first copy and had to get another.

Crewelwoman

"PalmaG72" wrote

Old April 7th 04, 03:07 AM
Laury Walkey

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

[snip]

Crewel embroidery is simply doing a surface embroidery with crewel wool
as opposed to embroidery floss in cottons or silks. Almost any pattern
suitable for surface embroidery can be worked in crewel wool.

Can anyone tell me what is meant by 'crewel fabric'? I am working on a Bucilla
crewel kit that contains crewel fabric but to me it looks like simply evenweave
much like 28 count Monaco, perhaps. The other crewel kit I've done had fabric
more like Hardanger cloth.

Curious...

Cheers,

--

Laury

Old April 7th 04, 11:08 AM
Elizabeth O'Rourke

As some posters have said, we have lots of the stitches in our stitch
glossary, we also have books on the subject and simple kits in our
on-line shop.
But if you want a real step-by-step guide, check out the video Phillipa
Turnbull of the Crewelwork Company has produced. It is available in all
the formats. Philippi also sells beautiful Linen Union fabric which is a
really good weight for working with wools. Check it out at
www.crewelwork.com
Liz
http://www.classicstitches.com
The magazine for stitchers worldwide

Is there an online site with instructions - How to Crewel

Old April 7th 04, 11:44 AM
BDS2pds

So if you use silks as surface work what is that called? I mistakedly called
mine crewel work to an EGA friend then. It does make sense since it is crewel
wool.
Old April 7th 04, 02:35 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

BDS2pds wrote:
So if you use silks as surface work what is that called? I mistakedly called
mine crewel work to an EGA friend then. It does make sense since it is crewel
wool.

Oh, this can get so silly. It's surface embroidery. Or, you could call
it "silk" embroidery, but usually silk embroidery is silk on silk.

Then there's "silk shading" except when you use cotton floss, does it
them become "cotton shading"??? grin

I don't like the term surface embroidery, but it seems to be what so
many refer to it. Some people call it "surface stitchery" which ticks
me off. Not because it's an offensive terminology, but it's usually
used by those who think it a "lesser" art form and by those who
primarily do counted embroidery. So, it can be a term said quite
haughtily and dismissively. Let's face it: cross stitch is surface
embroidery because it is embellishment that lies on top of the ground.

So, when people ask me what I'm doing, I say: "Embroidery with silk,"
if that's what I'm currently working with. If I'm doing a regional
embroidery, I'll say, "Schwalm embroidery."

The term "crewel embroidery" is only proper when working with crewel
wools. If you are doing something that is using all kinds of fibers,
including wool, heck . . . describing it to a neighbor I'd just say,
"embroidery"; describing it to someone more knowledgeable, I might say
"mixed media". Then again, I'm just as likely to say, "embroidery". :-)

Dianne

ebay:ending soon, crewel embroidery kits not to be missed! marilyn safier Marketplace 0 November 3rd 04 10:18 AM
Phillipa Turnbull Crewel Embroidery Kits for Sale Ehrman Tapestry Marketplace 0 May 25th 04 02:38 AM
Crewel Revival FKBABB Needlework 37 March 1st 04 11:24 AM
Crewel and strange find Cheryl Isaak Needlework 0 February 11th 04 07:16 PM
"A Crewel World" by Monica Ferris sunflower Needlework 7 January 23rd 04 07:53 PM