need some creative input

Old July 16th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
karlisa

Default need some creative input

I was talking to my 3 1/2 year old son tonight while he ate dinner,
and the following conversation took place:

Me: Noah, do you want a new hat this year?

Noah: Yes, mommy. Where is it?

Me: I have to knit it first. What color hat do you want? Red?
Orange? Blue...?

Noah: (thinks a minute) I want a purple hat, Mommy!

Me: Okay, I love purple! What else do you want on it? Do you want
stripes?

Noah, yeah, I want Blueberry stripes!

Me: oooooh...kay. Blueberry stripes sound great! A purple hat with
blueberry stripes?

Noah: yah, and Go Diego! on it

Me: (thinking to myself--holy crap, how am I going to knit that???)
Okay, a purple hat with blueberry stripes and a Go Diego! on it???
That sounds great, Noah!

Noah: No, mommy, not Go Diego! I want Oswald. (his favoriite
children's character)

Me: Okay. You want a purple hat with blueberry stripes and a picture
of Oswald on it?

Noah: yah!! that's what I want.

Now I ask you all for some adivice. Any ideas on what shade of purple
would go with "blueberrry" stripes? Here's a link to Oswald (an
octopus) so you can see what he looks like. He's blue, too.

http://tinyurl.com/6gejwr

I was thinking of making the hat purple and blue striped and putting
the Oswald image in the center after running it through a knitting
chart software that I found online. Any ideas or advice welcome!

HELP!!!!

lisa
Old July 16th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jul 16, 2:51*am, karlisa wrote:
[...]

LISA , you have a Wonderful Kid ,,,, with a heathy imagination ,,,,
now i would advise you to knit the stripes ,, yet Embroider Oswald
Over the knitted stripes ,, in the system of little eyelets that
imitate the knitted stitches ,,,,
mirjam
Old July 16th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

[...]

Now that i looked at the image you sent YES by all means embroider it
over the hat ,,
how do you plan to knit the hat , are the stripes going in the
vertical or down wards ,? mirjam
Old July 16th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

wrote:
[...]

I agree with you Mirjam, I looke at the image and I would embroider it
rather than try to make small octopus legs in knit

It is possible to get the colors. The shades would be close, I believe
it would look COOL.

dENNIS
Old July 16th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
karlisa

On Jul 15, 11:24 pm, wrote:
[...]

I think I'll do horizontal stripes. I had considered knitting him the
hat a basic style hat of purple and blue (blueberry) stripes and then
knitting a separate 3-D Oswald and sewing that on top instead of a pom-
pom I could knit the octopus as a ball, embroider the face and stuff
it and then make I-cord legs to sew on to the body. Would that work?

lisa
Old July 16th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
karlisa

On Jul 15, 11:24 pm, wrote:
[...]

I was also thinking of knitting the hat purple, and then knit just 3
rows of blue stripes bordered by one stripe of black to set them off
and then the rest of the hat in purple. The blue could match the
Oswald color.

lisa
Old July 16th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:51:55 -0700 (PDT), karlisa
wrote:

I was thinking of making the hat purple and blue striped and putting
the Oswald image in the center after running it through a knitting
chart software that I found online. Any ideas or advice welcome!

Lisa

I might make a 2-color ribbed band on the bottom and the rest of the
hat purple, and then duplicate st the octopus on plus maybe something
else from the show, perhaps just "Oswald" on the other side of the hat
in duplicate st block letters.

Or, if I wanted to be really different, I might be tempted to do a
2-color rib and then instead of a pompom put the octopus body at the
very top of the hat and make I-cord legs and randomly sew them down or
leave them to dangle like tassels.

Leah
Old July 16th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
karlisa

wrote:
I was thinking of making the hat purple and blue striped and putting
the Oswald image in the center after running it through a knitting
chart software that I found online. *Any ideas or advice welcome!

Lisa

I might make a 2-color ribbed band on the bottom and the rest of the
hat purple, and then duplicate st the octopus on plus maybe something
else from the show, perhaps just "Oswald" on the other side of the hat
in duplicate st block letters. *

Or, if I wanted to be really different, I might be tempted to do a
2-color rib and then instead of a pompom put the octopus body at the
very top of the hat and make I-cord legs and randomly sew them down or
leave them to dangle like tassels. *

Leah

Yes, I was thinking of knitting the octopus body as a ball and then
lightly stuffing it, embroidering the face and sewing it tot he top of
the hat with I-cord legs! I think that would be very cute.

I'm actually getting a little excited about knitting this for
him. :-)

lisa
Old July 17th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

lisa- Hide quoted text -

This sounds/reads very original and pleasing
mirjam
Old July 17th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
LauraJ[_2_]

That sounds adorable! The only thing I'd be concerned about is that he
might change his mind before then? So make sure it can be removed in case
that happens! Before I read your idea I was going to suggest finding a
store-bought Oswald patch that you could sew on so that you hadn't invested
too much in it should he change his mind but your idea sounds much cuter

LauraJ

wrote:
[...]

Two items I would really like to have need input Maureen Wozniak Quilting 0 January 10th 07 01:50 PM
Need your input..... nana wilson Quilting 6 October 20th 06 10:13 PM
OT - Bra input Helen C Beads 18 February 10th 05 04:02 AM
Your Input Lisa Rubberstamps 11 September 22nd 03 02:38 PM
Input on Website nJb Glass 0 September 14th 03 07:11 PM