Old May 13th 05, 12:07 AM
Andy

"annemarie" wrote in
:

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
"Bubbles" wrote in
:

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
I have an old, very ornately painted (glazed) dinner bell my Mom
made
probably 70 years ago or more.

When I was a kid, it had a beautiful ring to it but haven't heard
it since. Currently it has a sad "tink" sound to it.

The inside "dinger" is not glazed and I don't know how to tell if
it's been fired.

It's about 4 inches tall and it's bottom diameter is about 3
inches. It's walls are probably 3/16 inches thick.

I can see the glaze is very discolored probably by kitchen oils,
etc. over time and I'm guessing this is what deadened the ring.

Is there any way to put this little dinner bell back to work?

Have you checked for cracks in the ringer and the bell? I would
think that would have an effect on the sound.

Marianne

Marianne,

I just checked with the naked eye and fingers. The eye's can't tell
and it's too rough for the fingers to tell.

Thanks,

Andy

I agree with both Steve and Marianne. Its probably cracked, but its
worth keeping just the way it is. If you try to refire it you will
almost certainly damage it. I think just value it for its history )
Annemarie

OK, but OT, is there some connection between Marianne and Annemarie? The
co-incidence is hard not to notice.

Thank you for your advice,

Andy

--