Old May 12th 05, 09:24 PM
annemarie

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
"Bubbles" wrote in
:

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
I have an old, very ornately painted (glazed) dinner bell my Mom made
probably 70 years ago or more.

When I was a kid, it had a beautiful ring to it but haven't heard it
since. Currently it has a sad "tink" sound to it.

The inside "dinger" is not glazed and I don't know how to tell if
it's been fired.

It's about 4 inches tall and it's bottom diameter is about 3 inches.
It's walls are probably 3/16 inches thick.

I can see the glaze is very discolored probably by kitchen oils, etc.
over time and I'm guessing this is what deadened the ring.

Is there any way to put this little dinner bell back to work?

Have you checked for cracks in the ringer and the bell? I would think
that would have an effect on the sound.

Marianne

Marianne,

I just checked with the naked eye and fingers. The eye's can't tell and
it's too rough for the fingers to tell.

Thanks,

Andy

I agree with both Steve and Marianne. Its probably cracked, but its worth
keeping just the way it is. If you try to refire it you will almost
certainly damage it. I think just value it for its history )
Annemarie