Old April 29th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

Default Need a new machine, but which one?

Betsy wrote:
Pogonip wrote:

An older Pfaff is a hard machine to beat. My favorite in the
buttonhole department was the older Singers that you just dropped the
button into the foot, and it made a buttonhole to fit, but I wouldn't
recommend those particular machines for general sewing. If you have
room, though, you could have a "dedicated" buttonhole machine. I've
used the very old Singer buttonhole attachment, which uses cams to
select the desired buttonhole and has several different "styles" -
regular slot, slot with a rounded end, bound, and gotten excellent
results. My Pfaff 1475 is notorious for poor buttonholes. Other
than that, it's a great machine.

For $1,000, you may find yourself looking at good used machines as the
new ones tend to run multiples of that price.

I love the buttonholes my old Singer 301A makes with the buttonhole
attachment. I always find it worth switching machines to use it for the
buttonholes and often switch to it for straight stitching too.

--Betsy

I love my 301s, better than the Featherweights. The 401 is my next
favorite - unless I need zigzag, in which case it's the fave. But then
there's the Pfaff 230......
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com