Old October 8th 16, 01:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

Default Teaching Quilting

On 10/07/2016 02:01 PM, Julia in MN wrote:
I agree about not recommending an expensive high-end machine, but at the
other extreme, I wouldn't recommend a cheap machine from a big box
store. You don't want someone turned off to sewing because of a machine
that doesn't work properly. I would definitely recommend buying from a
reliable local dealer that will service the machine and answer
questions, including lessons on using the machine.

I don't even recall mentioning considering a cheap machine from Wal-Mart
or a place like that in the first place. If Kenmore (Sears) still sold
machines, I would recommend those, but apparently they don't, and
Kenmores are really Janomes anyway.

Well, if that, and if Sears were what it used to be, with a service
dept. and all that. With its demise over the last 20 years, and its
merger with K-Mart (I think, and if that is correct, that move dropped
the company's value considerably in my eyes), I am not so sure about
even that.

In fact, if I were playing the role of "technical advisor" in the
situation I described, the very first thing I would recommend is not
buying the machine online or from a place like Wal-Mart.

The 2212 is certainly not the most expensive machine, but it is not a
cheap machine from a big box store either. You could of course buy one
onine, but there is also an authorized Janome dealer here in Tucson.

Getting it online is Probably a bit cheaper than getting it at or
through (it may not be one of their regular products) the dealer, but as
you say servicing and lessons might also be included. I don't even know
if that machine is even available at Wal-Mart or a place like it.

The Janome dealer in Tucson is also a "quilt shop," and does offer
classes, though I do not know if they offer classes for any specific
machine.

Janome has a good reputation around here. I wouldn't hesitate to buy
Janome.

I think that New Home is really Janome, so I guess my New Home machine
that I mentioned is a Janome.
--
Brian Christiansen