Old December 28th 04, 11:20 PM
melinda

Kathy N-V wrote:

[snip]

I will give money in the weeks and months to come, when the depth of
assistance needed has been determined, and the people responsible for
helping have been identified. I won't kid myself that I've saved
millions, or even one life. I will give because it is the right
thing to do, and perhaps I can alleviate the suffering of a person in
an unintentionally amusing place named Phucket. Maybe even a person
who has just experienced The Greatest Disaster the World Has Ever
Known.

Kathy N-V

It actually happened Sunday morning, Boxing Day, caused by an
enourmous(sp) earthquake off the Indonesian provence of Ache.
8 Australians have lost their lives at Phucket so far, most
tragic IMO was the death of a 6 month old girl washed from her
father's arms.

There are areas of Ache that have been heard from, authorities,
etc. are hoping it's just because that the survivors have moved
to higher ground and have no communications. Last I heard the
death toll was at 30 000 and expected to rise, although they'll
probably never know the true death toll.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol