Old August 16th 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

Default Local quilt show: observations

'dragger'. That is pretty cute Nann.
Taria

"Nann" wrote in message
There's a recent book about machine quilting that describes three
styles for each of the sample quilts: dragger, show-stopper,
heirloom. Or something like that. (I don't have the book and I don't
recall the title.) The point is that the complexity of the quilting
can differ for the intended use of the quilt. A baby, little-kid, or
even a college student's quilt may be a dragger. That Baltimore Album
or Dear Jane that took three years to piece will be an heirloom.

That said, I've seen too many quilts in magazines (I haven't been to
that many shows) that have a large all-over meander. I understand
that such a style may be due to budget. But for a pretty top with
some design complexity, just "gitterdun" (get her done) is a shame.

I have likened professional quilting to bronze casting, sort of: art
with an assist. That Rodin or Remington sculpture was not hewn out of
a block of bronze. The sculptor created it in clay, a mold was made,
and the bronze was cast by a foundry. When I have a quilt
professionally quilted I add the longarmer's name or company to the
label.

Nann