Old August 27th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley Shone

Default Veering off topic - steamers

In message , "Bruce Fletcher
(remove dentures to reply)" writes
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Maybe I'll stick to the iron for the work shirts.

Use the RAF ironing technique. Iron the cuffs, the collar and the
centre portion of the front.

That is similar to the Navy fashion.
First the sleeves, then the chest,
Leave the front and bugger the rest.

That is what DH taught me when I had to iron his uniform shirts when we
first got married. However I ironed them all over.
We got married and I went to Malta to join him there.
I had no running hot water, all water had to be heated on paraffin
stoves. No bathroom and a tin bath to bathe in.
We moved to a flat with a bathroom with a gas water heater, a rather
dangerous affair because of the fumes it made. Had to leave the window
wide open while the bath was running. Then turn the heater off before
going in the bath.
I used to wash clothes in the bath in mainly cold water, no washing
machines. No fridge just an ice box and a daily delivery of a large lump
of ice to put in it.
Used to cook on paraffin primus stoves. An oven consisted of a tin box
that was stood on top of the burners. Only regulator was adjusting the
wick, too low and the thing went out, too high and the whole kitchen got
sooted up. We used to call them black outs.
Still I would not have missed it for the world.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk