Old September 30th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default ^10 - light reduction glazes

I am assuming that the studio itself does not have glazes that you like. It
would help to know what you find attractive. I would stay away from copper
glazes because what you will be getting is a mix of green to gag me blood
liver. Iron glazes can still work nicely but it depends on what you are
looking for with them. Celedon (iron) will be tricky. Most cobalt glazes
will still give you the same blue (lavender/purple) regardless of the
reduction. Rutile will still do beautiful things regardless of the
reduction level.

Can you tell us what glazes you like (at least what oxides are in them),
what color it is that you like. Reduction is going to vary with location in
the kiln. If you are allowed to help load, find out where the high
reductions spots are and put your pots with glazes that require reduction in
those places (I would still avoid copper glazes though). The problem with
light reduction is that glazes formulated to look reduced in oxidation
firings generally don't work well in reduction.

Sorry, mostly thinking out loud here.

Go to the list server
http://lsv.ceramics.org/scripts/wa.exe?A0=CLAYART

They have a larger population. You can also do a search - just discovered
their search link is broken so go here.

http://www.potters.org/search.htm

I came up with this one for example.

"Here's a reliable Cone 10 glossy oribe that is a lovely jade green
breaking
to blue where thick:

FLINT 24.66%
WHITING 21.83%
CUSTER (POTASH) FELDSPAR 30.12%
EPK 12.28%
TALC 7.6%
BONE ASH 1.07%
COPPER OXIDE BLACK 2.44%

We get lovely color in atmospheres from neutral to light reduction (heavy
reduction is not necessary).

A very reliable glaze!

Ellen Baker, Orion
"

Good luck,
Donna

"5string" wrote in message
I recently switched studios from one that did ^10 heavy-reduction to one
that does ^10 light-reduction. I tried a bunch of test tiles using glazes
from my previous studio (i.e., heavy reduction) and the results were (not
unexpectantly) disappointing. So..., any suggestions for some ^10 glazes
that do well with light reduction? Thanks.

Rick