Old June 15th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

"Sandy Ellison" wrote
:
: Coming to class with a machine she's never used, not
even sure how to
: turn it on--"I didn't take the new owner's class at the
shop when I bought
: this thing; why bother?" ...uh, because we don't have
time or energy or
: knowledge to teach you about it right now, lady! g
:

Or coming without the manual for their new machine and
expecting you to know how to set everything just right!!
And assuming that you have the time and interest to do this
for them during a class.

Actually had someone turn up with a machine in a case that
was thick with dust and COBWEBS! The machine had been in
the garage for nearly ten years! She hadn't even opened the
case before coming to her first class.

Have had more than one turn up without the pedal foot for
their machine and look surprised when they are told "no, you
can't just borrow any ole pedal - you need yours". My first
class for newbies is "Tools and Terminology" and covers all
the tools they will use in quilting, terms they will see in
quilt books, and basic sewing machine use. They do no
sewing in that lesson but they have to bring their machines
so I can see what they will be working with. I have seen
15yo machines that still have the original needle! Some
have sent their machines off for service and been unhappy
when they still don't sew correctly, only to find they have
been putting their bobbins in upside down LOL

I now keep magnifying glasses in four strengths for those
who forget their glasses, 'cos I am sick of watching the
awful results when they persist and can't see properly.

--

Cheryl & the Cats