Old June 15th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Students - was LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

"C&S" wrote in message
:
: Oh... and let me add my pet peve to the list:
:
: *a first time quilter comes in with an intricate lap size
quilt pattern and
: wants you to figure out how much fabric she will need to
make it a queen size. Of course she's not looking to buy
the fabric yet.
:

LOL

I have a newbie student who does that to me all the time.
Starts one quilt and when it is set up to be continued at
home she then turns up with no warning and announces "I have
this idea for a new quilt". I have learned to dread those
words. She did it again last night. I had drawn her a
football mascot (a tiger) in EQ5 for an applique panel, but
she really liked the Flying Goose block method I taught them
last week so she wanted them as a border on point ("those
square things but they're not square" was the description)
and not more than about 40" wide total. Then she said she
wanted the border blocks no smaller than the sample ones I
had them make. When I pointed out that this would mean her
centre panel would only be about 4" wide she just looked at
me and said "well what will I do?"

Within half an hour the quilt went from a wall hanging
(original plan) to a knee rug, to a single bed quilt, to a
double quilt, and back to a large knee size. I kept getting
comments like "I don't like it square" - to which I would
reply that if you start with a square in the centre and
insist on having the same borders all the way around, then
the finished quilt is more or less gonna be square. She
eventually agreed, although somewhat reluctantly as if she
thought I wasn't telling her the truth LOL Thank Heaven
for EQ5!!

She is so keen I can't bring myself to tell her to go away,
and her work is lovely when finished. But we are now
venturing into techniques of piecing where accurate seams
are critical (triangles, etc). Up to now she has just raced
through a lot and been very much "near enough is good
enough", and I have had to come up with solutions when
things didn't meet up exactly. But last night I warned her
that this was no longer possible and she had to be more
careful. On she sailed! I asked from the other side of the
table "can you see the line of stitches" and she replied
no - and kept on sewing. She had - of course run out of
thread! I let her go for another three blocks before I
pulled her up, and she just laughed about it.

She is just such a contrast to the others who come on
Wednesday night - both slow and meticulous. I have very
detailed notes for all my classes and M refuses to even take
them home with her. ((sigh)) But she has managed to
produce a few absolutely beautiful quilts in an amazingly
short time. I am just not sure I can take the stress much
longer LOL

Oh - how I dread those "students" who love to learn but hate
to be instructed!!!

--

Cheryl & the Cats