Old June 14th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

If she is a very regular customer than I think it would be ok to ask (by
phone or on a different shopping trip) that she is making this quilt and
needs help figuring the fabric needed and it would be nice if she could
have the numbers before going to Chicago to shop with the recipient.
This give the shop the chance to say "fine, come in when it's slow and
we'll help you" or "here's a great book that teaches you to do just
that" or "have you seen this nifty fabric calculator?" or "I'm sorry but
we are so busy it's hard for us to take the time to do that" in which
case she could get the shop in Chicago the opportunity to help do the
math. At any rate, she doesn't put the shop on the spot.

I don't think it was a suggestion warranting snippy arguments though. I
hope you don't have to visit with that relative often!

marcella

In article xqZjg.232666$5Z.140187@dukeread02,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Judy: I would have figured the fabric
requirements myself. With the aid of a
calculator, and a graph sketch, it is
not difficult. There are some quilter's
math books available too. If I needed
extra help, I'd ask another quilter to
double check my math. I would not take
up the shop employee's time. JMHO. But I
certainly do NOT think you were
deserving of a tongue lashing for your
suggestion! I do look forward to seeing
the quilt; it sounds lovely.