Old August 14th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
David Coggins

Default ferric chloride

Hi Sandi,

That's right - ferric chloride is no longer used to etch printed circuit
boards - they now supply ammonium persulphate, which is of no use for your
purpose.

Wouldn't ferric oxide do the same thing? Whether it's the oxide or chloride,
the iron should still give the effect.

Dave

"Red Deer" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi All,
Speaking of raku, does anyone know where ferric chloride can be
obtained? I'm getting ready to get my own raku kiln and I like the
brown highlights spraying ferric chloride on horse hair pots gives. I
looked in all my pottery supply catalogues and can't find it. I was
rakuing at friends and hers was bought at Radio Shack. I called them
and they have stopped selling it. I know it has to be handled very
carefully but I need some for the results I am seeking. Or is there a
substitute chemical I can use? I live in the northern Shenandoah
Valley area of Virginia, USA.
Thank you for any information,
Sandi