Old June 17th 05, 03:11 AM
Don T

Ted,

For Opal I use an adhesive called "GOOP" that is available at your friendly
local Ace Hardware store. It sets up with a "rubbery" consistency and all it
takes to remove it, from the stone and the stick, is a razor knife. I don't
like to use harsh solvents like Attack on Opal, perhaps just a prejudice.
The back of your Opal should be flat and finished to 400 grit, clean and
dry, to use the GOOP. I dip the dop in GOOP and press it firmly to the Opal.
Hold for a few minutes then set aside for 24 hours to fully set up. I have a
drilled block that I place the dopped stones in to set.

Yeah, yeah. I know. Production shops don't use slow setting adhesives much
but if a guy dops a dozen or so stones with GOOP and another dozen or so
stones with Epoxy and compares results I believe he will find that the GOOP
gives a safer bond. The GOOP will warn you if you are heating the stone too
much during the final couple of polishing steps because heat softens it
enough to allow the stone to move. If your GOOPed Opal moves, you are
getting it too hot for comfort. Heat kills more Opals in the cutting than
any other cause (except out of round wheels that slap the Opal to death).

--

Don Thompson

Remmy sez,
Count de Monet.
Unless, of course, you are Baroque.

"Ted Gittinger" wrote in message
I am interested in knowing of any cold-dopping methods that have been found
to work well, especially for opals. Will Epoxy work, following by
dissolving the glue using Attack or some other solvent?

Regards,

Ted Gittinger