Old May 23rd 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Bob

Default Silver supplier question

On May 21, 6:55=A0pm, "Paul K. Dickman" wrote:
I have a question that the group may be able to answer.

I am currently pricing a commission for a fairly complex set of Shabbat
candlesticks. It is still in the design by committee stage, but it involve=

hammered silver reflectors.

Originally the reflectors were a series of curved plates 3"x10".

In as much as maintaining reflectivity was important. I suggested using
Argentium silver. With such a =A0high silver price, the premium is a much
smaller percentage of the cost and it seemed like an ideal application.

Then the designed changed. The reflectors were now a few plates 6"x10".

"No problem", I sez, "I can use standard 6" wide Argentium sheets".

Now that the customers are all hyped up on Argentium, they decide they wan=

the reflectors 8"x10".

My question is:
Does any know if someone is producing Argentium sheets in wider widths?
Preferably here in the states.

There are some creases in the reflectors where I can hide a seam, if I hav=

to, but I would really rather not have to solder 2-8" joints in each panel=

..

Paul K. Dickman

Paul:

Why not just buy a heavier gauge argentium sheet, if you can find
somebody with a wide-enough mill to roll it to size for you? That
would certainly be easiest. You might even get one of the current
suppliers of Argentium to do it on a contract basis.

Or if your reflectors are curved surfaces, stretch the sheet on an
english wheel. Last resort would be to forge it out yourself --
doable, but tedious in that size -- might be a little easier with a
sand bag and sheet-metal style panel beaters, though.

Regards,

Bob