Old May 22nd 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Paul K. Dickman

Default Silver supplier question

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote in message
On Wed, 21 May 2008 18:55:00 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Paul K.
Dickman"
wrote:

In as much as maintaining reflectivity was important. I suggested using
Argentium silver. With such a high silver price, the premium is a much
smaller percentage of the cost and it seemed like an ideal application.

You might ask Cindy Eid, a frequent participant on the Orchid list, if she
knows
of a source you can use. I don't, not in an 8 inch width.

However, you might also consider changing the metal to be fine silver for
the
reflectors. It shares with Argentium silver the freedom from the level of
oxidation/tarnish/fire stain found with standard sterling. Fine silver is
indeed a bit softer, but if you've work hardened it by hammering, and
since this
is essentially a decorative/cerimonial object rather than something
getting
heavy wear and tear like worn jewelry, the softer metal shouldn't be such
a big
concern. And for sheer reflectivity, fine silver is the best there is...

I'm guessing that you'd have an easier time finding a source for wide fine
silver sheet, since any silver supplier who had wide enough mills could
make it
up for you, while finding it in Argentium means finding a supplier who's
actually carrying that trademarked and patented (I think) product. That's
likely a much smaller pool of suppliers.

Hope that's of use.

Peter

Unfortunately, all the curves and creases on the reflectors are in one
direction. The cross section perpendicular to these is essentially flat
sheet. Then they get hinged together into a large triptych and the candle
holders get hung off these panels.

Structurally, it is like three sheets of fanfold computer paper with a brick
taped to the bottom of each sheet.

All the planishing in the world, won't make fine silver stiff enough.

I'll poke my head over to the Orchid list. I think I met Cynthia at a
workshop back when I was in college.

I'll joint the sheets if I have to.

Paul K. Dickman