Old May 22nd 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

Default Silver supplier question

On Wed, 21 May 2008 18:55:00 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

In as much as maintaining reflectivity was important. I suggested using
Argentium silver. With such a high silver price, the premium is a much
smaller percentage of the cost and it seemed like an ideal application.

You might ask Cindy Eid, a frequent participant on the Orchid list, if she knows
of a source you can use. I don't, not in an 8 inch width.

However, you might also consider changing the metal to be fine silver for the
reflectors. It shares with Argentium silver the freedom from the level of
oxidation/tarnish/fire stain found with standard sterling. Fine silver is
indeed a bit softer, but if you've work hardened it by hammering, and since this
is essentially a decorative/cerimonial object rather than something getting
heavy wear and tear like worn jewelry, the softer metal shouldn't be such a big
concern. And for sheer reflectivity, fine silver is the best there is...

I'm guessing that you'd have an easier time finding a source for wide fine
silver sheet, since any silver supplier who had wide enough mills could make it
up for you, while finding it in Argentium means finding a supplier who's
actually carrying that trademarked and patented (I think) product. That's
likely a much smaller pool of suppliers.

Hope that's of use.

Peter