Old September 9th 04, 10:57 PM
Sue Doo Nym

In article , the amazing
Bubbles says...
Hi guys!

What have been your biggest blunders? Either technical or practical - I
don't care - I just want to know what big mistakes you have made
(potterywise) and what you learned from them :-)

My blunder was when the tutor left me to choose a glaze and get on with it for the
first time.
Unknowingly and just going by the pretty colour, I chose a glaze that should only
be sponged on, or put on pieces that are horizontal. After carefully and
meticulously dipping, and then cleaning the bottom prior to going on the firing
shelf, another tutor spotted me just in time. When finding out the glaze and
telling me about it, the only way to salvage the piece was to wear a mask and
gently scrape it down as best as possible. He told me I had put it on so thick it
would have stuck to the shelf and caused all sorts of problems.
After the piece was fired it looked awful, exactly what I had done to it, all
scratchy, although my brother in law reckoned it was the "rustic" look!

--
He said, "It is finished." Not, "I am finished."