Old July 30th 03, 07:15 AM
ROBB

Chris Carlen wrote in message Oh dear, loks
like he'll have to re-invest in a new torch (which
seems ridiculous, but that's life I guess).
Regards, Phil

Hi Phil,
I just moved my torch and tanks to my new / old studeo
I have a Smith Little torch with a preset regulator for disposable
propane and a adjustable regulator with a refillable 40 cu. ft. Oxygen
tank.
I like it as it is much like what I was trained on.
likely cost total would be
$ 100 little torch for Propane tips # 3 - 7 lasts indefinately
$ 40 fixed regulator for disposable 14 oz propane tanks lasts
indefinately
$ 3 / 2 tanks at Wallmart or K mart.
$ 65 for Ox regulator will last indefinately
$ 100 for refillable Oxygen tank purchased locally lasts indefinately
$ 20 for Oxygen tank refill lasts for 3 to 9 months.
$ 330 for a professional system which will do most all bench jewelry
tasks.

The advantage of using disposable tanks is that it will meet virtually
all fire codes and insurance requirements.

A way of saving some money is to purchase a small Oxy Acetylene smith
torch setup ( Torch, Regulators and Hose and use the Acetylene
regulator for a Smith Air Acetylene torch.
I do not have the Air Acetylene torch, but it is on my to buy list for
Silver Smithing.

An additional benefit is that for casting, you will have a Oxy
Acetylene torch.

This is not a cheap setup. It is professional and over the years will
prove to be the most economical however.

ROBB - Puting my shop back togather on my property . I am the
landlord...