Old May 29th 13, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_3_]

Default OT - Recipes which use olive oil or balsamic vinegar?

Here's two of my favorite recipes using balsamic vinegar:

Pork Roast

Put a pork roast in crock pot. Size of pork roast, size of crock pot -
whatever you have!

Mix together:
2 parts balsamic vinegar to 1 part honey & 1 part brown sugar.
Pour over pork roast and cook until done.

My family loves pork roast fixed this way.
__________________________________________________ __

Penne with Roasted Asparagus
and Balsamic Butter

Simmering the balsamic vinegar both mellows and thickens it. When
tossed with the hot pasta and the butter, it forms a smooth, uniquely
flavored sauce.

1 lb. asparagus
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt - I usually never use as much salt as the recipe calls for
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 C plus 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 lb. penne
2 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
1/3 C grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

1. Heat the oven to 400°. Snap the tough ends off the asparagus and
discard them. Cut the spears into 1” pieces. Put the asparagus on a
baking sheet and toss with the olive oil and 1/4 tsp each of sale and
pepper. Roast until tender, about 10 minutes

2. Meanwhile, put the vinegar in a small saucepan and simmer until 3
Tbsp remain. Stir in the brown sugar and the remaining 1/4 tsp pepper.
Remove from heat.

3. Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling, salted water until just
done, about 13 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss with the butter,
vinegar, asparagus, Parmesan, and the remaining 1 3/4 tsp salt. Serve
with additional Parmesan.

Optional: Add diced, cooked chicken breast when tossing the rest of the
ingredients with the penne.

Variations:

Cut 1 lb. of broccoli into small spears for roasting. Toss with 2 Tbsp
olive oil and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper. Roast for about 15
minutes. Continue with step 2.

Toss 1/3 C of toasted pine nuts, hazelnuts, or walnuts at the end with
either asparagus or broccoli.

Donna in Idaho

On 5/25/2013 5:31 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
I received olive oil for Christmas - went to the cupboard and
I already have 3 bottles of it! Plus 2 bottles of balsamic
vinegar. Clearly I'm not using it as fast as I am receiving it.
Do any of you have great recipes for using these ingredients?

Here's an odd one. I'm not sure I quite believe it.

http://tvnz.co.nz/masterchef-new-zea...e-tart-4719669