Old October 11th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

Default handquilting equipment

In article egiha3$2kn$1@qmul, Hanne Gottliebsen
wrote:

Regardless, I need to get some stuff, right? For space and financial
reasons, a hoop seems like a good place to start for me, and I've found
some that look nice that I can easily get when visiting my parents in a
months time. I was thinking to just get the hoop, this guy also does
floor stands and gizmos that attaches the hoop to the table. If needed I
could get one of those later?

Hanne, I'd recommend measuring your arm from your inner elbow to your
palm. Don't get a hoop any larger than twice that measurement (in
diameter, I mean), because it will otherwise be difficult to reach the
center of the hoop.

But do I need some sort of stand to even get started? And if not, then
how do you balance everything (hoop and using both hands for quilting).

If you can swing it, I'd go ahead and get the floor stand at the same
time as the hoop. You never know whether it will still be available
later, and it definitely makes the quilting easier, IMHO. You can, of
course, balance the hoop on your leg or a table or chair, but a stand is
much easier and lets the hoop swivel. However, I'd skip getting any
little attachment for doing the edges; I've been disappointed in the
ones I've tried and found that making a "hoop cap" (from instructions I
found in an old issue of QNM and saved) worked much better.

And what about a thimble? I use a nimble thimble for hand stitching, but
I gather that is not suitable for quilting (no little holes for the
needle to sit in).

A thimble is very personal. Do you push with the top of your finger or
with the pad? I push with the pad, and my fingers tend to get hot (look
where I live! G), so a "topless" thimble (aka tailor's thimble) works
very well for me. Buy the least expensive one you can find until you're
sure of the style you prefer; then you can invest, if you like (or not!
G) in a nice one -- sterling tends to expand/contract with your finger
according to the weather, so that's a great excuse for spending a bit
more. LOL! HTH!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1