Old October 23rd 03, 03:15 AM

sewing a kimono for halloween (going as oren)

(Trishty)
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:46:15 GMT, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply wrote:
I think I recall reading in some book or another that the obi was
supposed to help reinforce a barrel look -- so I think it's deliberate.
Melinda, chuckling over how much padding she would need to obliterate
the appearance of an extremely large bust size to look properly Japanese
---
Yup - you can even buy pads in Japan if your figure's too
unattractively hourglass shaped, which pad your waist out. What with
that and their previous penchant for blackened teeth, the Japanese
aesthetic is a tad different from that in the West!
Trish
---
I was browsing through some books at BJs one day, and came across one
which had many photos of foot binding (taken about the time binding of
women's feet was banned--after WWII, if I remember right). The results
were crippling for the women, it was horriffic to see their poor
deformed feet.
Cea