Old November 7th 04, 02:45 AM
Pati Cook

Welcome to the Viking world. (I love my Vikings.)
I do not have a walking foot for my #1, which is the machine I use for
quilting, binding and so on. I reduce the pressure foot pressure and use an
open toe appliqué foot. Or a darning foot for free motion.
I also use the edge joining foot for stitch in the ditch work.
You might be surprised at how many of the feet you will be able to use if you
try them for different things.
The zipper foot is great to use for fabric boxes or putting piping into
the seam of the binding.
The blind hem foot can work well to machine sew the binding second edge
on.
I'm making a convergence quilt right now, and Ricky Tim's instructions
call for a narrower than quarter inch seam, so I am using the "B" foot (which
is the one I use most of the time for regular sewing, even though it is the
"embroidery stitch" foot.) and set the needle all the way to the right.
And the sensor buttonhole foot is wonderful for any buttonhole you want
to make. I use small buttonholes for eyelets in some places. There are some
really interesting ways to use eyelets in corners or sides of mini quilts
then tie them together to make a larger design. Or make buttonholes around
the edge of a fleece blanket and use narrow ribbon as "thread" to whip stitch
around it. Could do the same thing on small quilts, around the edge of a
jacket or all sorts of things, even if you don't make clothes. (Buttonholes
on the edge of a sleeve could be used to fasten mittens to a coat with
elastic. then the mittens/gloves don't get lost. )
The over edge foot is great for satin stitching.

Need more ideas for your feet??? Just ask. I love the different feet that
come with my machines, and I also buy some of the others because they are so
much fun. I also like to figure out different ways to use the feet. G

So......... I think you will be fine without the walking foot..... just
remember that you can adjust the pressure of the pressure foot. Not sure
which acrylic appliqué foot you mean. The quilt grip thing is a waste. The
darning/ stippling foot works well for free motion.

Do take the owner's classes. More than once if you need to. You will learn
more than you ever wanted to know about your machine and how to use it if you
do.

Pati, in Phx. (Oh, the buttonhole can be made absolutely huge.......great to
create a pocket patch on a little girl's activity quilt. G)

DrQuilter wrote:

my viking came wi+h an expensive looking bu++onhole foo+ bu+ no walking
foo+ or acrylic aplique foo+. +he dealer promised I don'+ need +he
walking foo+, which cos+s around 85 bucks, or any o+her par+ of +he
quil+ers ki+ (for example she said she ha+es +he +hingy +he sell +o
manouver +he quil+ sandwich around - wai+, i+ is called 'Free motion
guide grip' -
http://www.sewing-world.co.uk/sewing...t_quilters.htm).
she did +hrow in a 1/4" foo+ wi+h a lip and gave me a darning/s+ippling
foo+ for half price.

any of you viking owners willing +o agree or disagree wi+h +hose
s+a+emen+s? how abou+ +he open foo+ for s+ippling, e+c.?

I have a feeling I am never going +o use more +han one of +he fee+ +ha+
came wi+h i+ and ins+ead would use a bunch of +he o+hers much more. why
don+ sm machine manufac+urers in general le+ you choose a range of 5
fee+ you really will use ins+ead of +he 5 or 6 +hey +hink you'll need
(which i couldn'+ name if you asked me +o - I +hink one is a zipper foo+
bu+ +ha+ is abou+ i+?

+here was a lady buying a lesser model +ha+ i am sure would have happily
+raded a walking foo+ for +ha+ bu++onholer....

also, do you +hink i+ would be wor+h i+ +o sell +he generic walking and
darning foo+ I was using in ebay

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)